This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cortege Hongrois

Can anyone tell me which musical excerpts of the ballet Raymonda are used for Cortege Hongrois? In addition, which excerpts were used for Colleen Neary's variation and which for Merrill Ashley's variation?

Speaking of Merrill Ashley, she's going to perform a new character role with the Boston Ballet in the upcoming year. It was announced in November's Dance Magazine. I can't remember which role but its an evil one. She did Carabosse previously.

According to Dance Magazine, Ashley will guest with BB as Madge in La Sylphide.

Regarding Cortege, I believe most of the music comes from the Pas Classique Hongrois from Act III of Raymonda. Neary is listed as having Variation I and Ashley as Variation III.

Thanks for the replies. Turns out in the recording I found, the conductor excludes Act III. The third act is described as a Hugarian-flavoured Wedding Divertissement which is often performed alone. In the end, i need another recording.

There should be a warning on the cover, Neeme Jarvi!

i haven't re-read ashley's DANCING FOR BALANCHINE, but perhaps she gives a clue as to which musical variation was hers.

if memory serves, around the time of the premiere of CORTEGE HONGROIS it was noted that balanchine worked w/ neary and ashley on their variations and then - and i repeat my recollection here is cloudy at best, and perhaps utterly baseless - changed them, which is to say had ashley dance that being worked out on neary and vice-versa.

both neary and ashley are very much 'around' and so i suppose one could somehow ask them for the information.

as for the musical indentifications, i can think on no better expert on the ins and outs of the score than doug.

But the Jarvi recording is beautifully performed (and lists the excerpts on the back cover as being from Acts I & II). In my opinion, the best complete Raymonda is the NAXOS recording. No cuts, no additions (not even Petipa's 1898 interpolations) and inexpensive.

Here are my Balanchine Cortège Hongrois notes (listing the dance numbers, where it is found in the original 1898 Raymonda score and who danced in the 1973 premiere of the Balanchine ballet):

Introduction (Procession)

Original score - Act III: Le cortège hongrois

Dancers - Principal classical couple (Melissa Hayden, Jacques d’Amboise); Principal character couple (Karin Von Aroldingen, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux); 8 classical couples; 8 character couples)

Entrée

Original score - Act III: Entrée

Dancers - 8 classical couples

Adagio

Original score - Act III: Pas classique hongrois

Dancers - 8 classical couples

Czardas

Original score - Act III: Grand pas hongrois

Dancers - Principal character couple (Karin Von Aroldingen, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux); 4 character couples

Pas de quatre

Original score - Act III: Danse des enfants

4 classical women

Variation 1

Original score - Act III: Variation 1

Dancer - Classical woman (Colleen Neary)

Variation 2

Original score - Act III: Variation 2

Dancers - 4 classical men

Variation 3

Original score - Act III: Variation 3

Dancer - Classical woman (Merrill Ashley)

Pas de deux

Original score - Act II: Grand adagio

Dancers - Principal classical couple (Melissa Hayden, Jacques d’Amboise)

Variation 4

Original score - Act II: Variation 3

Dancer - Principal classical man (Jacques d’Amboise)

Variation 5

Original score - Act III: Variation 4

Dancer - Principal classical woman (Melissa Hayden)

Waltz

Original score - Act I: Grande valse & Repreise de la valse

Dancers - 8 classical couples w/Principal classical couple (Melissa Hayden, Jacques d’Amboise)

Coda

Original score - Act III: Coda

Dancers - 8 character couples w/Principal character couple (Karin Von Aroldingen, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux)

Galop

Original score - Act III: Galop

Dancers - 16 corps couples w/principals

Apotheosis (Procession)

Original score - Act III: Apotheosis

Complete cast

More notes:

- The choreography of Cortège Hongrois is a mix of new choreography and quotes from the Petipa choreography of 1898. The quotes are often set to different passages of music than Petipa used.

- The women’s pas de quatre was a dance for 24 students in 1898.

- The pas de deux was a pas d’action for 6 dancers/character artists in 1898.

- The coda was danced by the classical couples and classical principals in 1898.

Thanks for your reply. About the only thing that hasn't been said about CHongrois is that this was orginally choreographed for a farewell to Hayden.

(and lists the excerpts on the back cover as being from Acts I & II)--Doug

From the back cover, if you didn't know there was an ACT III you wouldn't know it was missing is my point there. Yes Doug, Acts I & II are very well done. I have no complaints about the quality of Jarvi's work/recording. I 'll keep a look out for the Naxos recording.

Edited by dewdrop