This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks misses mark?

I don't know, perhaps there's something wrong with my curiousity, but I think the following article falls a little short.

Thank Cincinnatian for ballet's appeal

It is intended to laud Julius Fleischmann's contribution to ballet's popularity in America, but I find myself wishing for more. I'd love to hear something about the man beyond just that he gave money... like what inspired him to such generosity, or how he came to be interested in the ballet... what he was beyond a checkbook... what his relationship was with the ballet (was he interested in funding certain productions over others? did he donate to other dance companies?)... at least one human interest detail about him?

Am I just being grumpy? Was he the sort of person who preferred anonymity?

Considering how vital "angels" are to the survival of dance companies, it seems like a little more could be done to laud their contribution... glamorize it, I would hope...

Or am I just naive; such attention would be unwanted?

Dale, I fished around a bit looking for info on Fleischmann at that site but didn't turn up any. Where was it? (Or was it just info on Cincinnati Ballet?)

I did find some info by googling him though... his grandfather had been Mayor of Cincinnati around the turn of the century... made his fortune off of Fleischmann Yeast (became Standard Brands).

Here's a blurb Fleischmann Bio

Along with entrepreneurial success, the Fleischmanns also had a history of

cultural contributions. One of Julius' contemporaries in Naples stated he "was

active in the family business, but his interests were divergent and included

publishing, ownership in several hotels, theatrical production, director and

president of the Ballet Russe in Monte Carlo, and he was one of the most

renowned yachtsmen in the world."

While hunting for info on Fleischmann, I discovered that the Marquis de Cuevas was married to John D Rockefeller's granddaughter... somehow I'd missed that bit in all my dance history books. It would be nice to find some web pages about how some of these "angels" shaped the arts by their generosity. Perhaps they might inspire some contemporaries.

about the Marquis de Cuevas marrying John Rockefeller's daughter! (Now there's a way to get funding.....) I'd never read that either

If you weren't aware of it, then perhaps not many are, and I'd better divulge the source... It came from Dick Andros' site (Dick Andros has taught ballet in NYC for many years at various places, I remember him at STEPS in the 1980s... apparently now he teaches at Ballet Academy East):

Marquis George de Cuevas, an American patron of the arts, married to the granddaughter of John D. Rockefeller, and became an important figure in the dance world. Although born in Chile, he acquired the title Marquis from his Spanish father. That and the Rockefeller's money made him a power to be dealt with. He became interested in Ballet while helping to organize the 1939 World Fair. He then founded Ballet Institute and Ballet International in 1943. They made their debut in New York City using many American trained dancers. Texas born Nana Gollner became the first American ballerina to be promoted to Prima Ballerina of a European company. In 1947, de Cuevas created the Grand Ballet de Monte Carlo.
Dick Andros' "Andros On Ballet" site

There is a great Alex Gard caricature of Fleishmann, Nelson Rockefeller and Warburg as ballet angels. Fleishmann and Rockefeller, in wings and tutus, are floating above on a cloud holding bags full of money, while Warburg has plummeted to earth and crashed on his wings.