This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Teresa Reichlen

Theresa Reichlen: Where did she come from? She's 19 ? and danced an ethereal and magnificent Lilac Fairy on 02/19; she was the best dancer this night. I think the horns were fair, not horrible, certainly not great. I really like Glenn Keenan and Rebecca Krohn. I'm not ballet savvy enough to know what propels a corps member to soloist and beyond, but these two women always perform well.

Edited by jimmattimore

Virginia, I believe. Her old teacher used to post, and may still post, on this site. She's another who was just briefly at SAB. Beautiful girl, very musical, very quick, very big jump for her size, has good dance intelligence. She will probably get stronger physically, and needs to, over the next couple of seasons.

Michael, you were right to mention Reichlin's need to get stronger ...she has many fine qualities and legs to die for, but her Hippolyta and Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #2 both had moments of unsteadiness. However, I suspect she will get better as time goes by.

Krohn & Keenan are among my top ten corps girls...both lovely though very different types.

This would have been Taylor's season. I hope next one will be. She learned and rehearsed Beauty 3 years ago, I believe, and I would have loved to have seen her dance it, as well as the Stroman and half a dozen other ballets. Sebastien Marcovici also disappeared from the casting at the beginning of the season, right after Midsummer.

I too adored Reichlen as Lilac Fairy. In fact, she was the high point for me at Sat.'s matineee performance. Her calmness and clean lines reminded me of Michele Wiles.

On the whole, though, I was a bit disappointed in the Fairies in the first Act. I don't have my program with me right now but none of them made me sit up and take notice. I was very distracted by their inelegant upper bodies. Not true of Reichlen who was lovely in every way, with a graceful upper carriage as well as those gorgeous long legs.

De Luz was Bluebird and a real treat to watch although, in his variation, the brise voules (spelling?) looked to be a little odd. Was the bending of his knee caused by anticipating his landings? It seemed to pop him out of position too soon every time. Other than that, he was flashy-exciting.

I agree about the Fairies -- In general, not just the Sat. matinee, the upper body work of the Fairies, the Lilac Fairy's Attendants, and the women's corps de ballet was weak in Sleeping Beauty. After they looked so very spectacularly good in Midsummer Night's Dream, Martins' Sleeping Beauty did not show the company in a very Classical with a capital C light. When the Lilac Attendants all kneel in tendu in a line right at the front of the stage in Act I, Scene I, with the Fairies behind them in supported attitude, the dissarray in, not just the presentation of the attendants upper bodies, but the basic placement of their upper bodies and the set of the necks and the angle of the faces, just jumped out at you.