This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

If you could choose one ballet...

I'm having a hard time choosing between the Ballet Comique de la Reine and the original Sleeping Beauty (the REAL original Sleeping Beauty). The first because from it, ballet might redevelop in an entirely different way, which would be fascinating to see, and the second because it's the pinnacle of classicism (IMO, anyway).

That was my first reaction, Alexandra, for just the reason you cite. But then we wouldn't have James and his Sylph! The Petipa speaks to my mind, the Bournonville to my heart. This hurts. :giveup:

But I think, in the end, I'd stick with Barocco, which speaks urgently to my mind and my heart. :P

The Sleeping Beauty.

The 'original' Petipa, of course, though Lopokhov (sp.?) Lilac Fairy variants are okay by me!

Oddly, I couldn't cope with the Balanchine question, but this one I didn't even have to think about...Either my love of ballet includes a ruthless streak I didn't know about or the certainty of never actually having to face the problem in reality calmed me down. (Whereas we may one day face a reality in which we only have five or six Balanchine ballets that in any way resemble their originals.)

So, now, having given it some thought and, with the additional disclaimer that I don't really believe great art works can be ranked, and we are just playing...here are my reasons:

Disclaimers aside, I judge The Sleeping Beauty to be the greatest ballet ever made. It includes the greatest classical dancing ever choreographed, danced to the greatest ballet score ever composed. It also contains a tremendous variety of moods, elements, and styles -- making it a particularly exemplary work to serve as the last ballet standing.

Finally: we know historically what this ONE ballet inspired -- from the collaborative 'gesamtkunstwerk' oriented experiments of the Diaghilev company, to the Royal Academy of dancing, to Balanchine himself. So, if, in this imaginary future with only one ballet, some enterprising young artist (or artists) decided to revive the art, Sleeping Beauty allows for many wonderful developments. I don't think one could work 'backwards' in the same way from, say, a work by Ashton or Balanchine and somehow extrapolate a Petipa-esque vision.

I suppose this is just a wordier version of what Alexandra and Hans have written, so finally, finally (and in a more personal vein): I can't bring myself to say I love the Sleeping Beauty the best of all ballets, but I certainly can't think of any ballet I love more. It was the first ballet I ever saw, albeit in a film that chopped up (and out) tons of choreography, and it made me a balletomane immediately and, apparently, for life.

Drw, I have to say, I'm really impressed with your reasons. THey REALLY have lot of force. I agree with you completely, but i couldn't have put it that way -- especially about hte reverse engineering -- it's the variety included within hte whole that suggests so many possible avenues.......

(Whereas we may one day face a reality in which we only have five or six Balanchine ballets that in any way resemble their originals.)

That is exactly what has happened to Petipa, not to mention Bournonville. I don't want to think about the next hundred years.