This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Gayeuse Elssler

Just as the title says!

I'm working with a story here that covers a part of Fanny Elssler's 1840-42 tour of America. In it, "La gayeuse" appears, and I can't find this in my French dictionary. Is this a period word, or just some sort of Franglais? I think I can derive the sense from the context, but I'm curious as to whether it's a real word? Au secours!

Mel, "gaveuse" is the feminin form of the noun refering to a person that stuffs poultry (ie. to make foie gras for example)... I don't know... I kind of thought that if they made up a Ballet called "La Vivandiere" (which I love), they could have also made up a ballet called "La gaveuse"...about a beautiful and dreamy peasant girl... Ok, maybe I have Too much imagination.

I think I'm closing in on "gayeuse" from a regionalism or patois that was used in the early 18th century. And the context of the quotation I'm working with doesn't make sense if the word is translated "the poultry-stuffer". Pamela, what I'm working with here is a piece of folklore and didn't make Ivor Guest's rigorous standard for documentation. I'm also waiting on Alison Delarue's biography of Elssler to see what her take, if any, on this story is.

as a native french speaker living in France, I can say that "gayeuse" does not exist in French ; however , I agree with jana , it might comme from "gai" meaning joyful ; usually we use "euse" when sepaking of someone doing something (ex : la fileuse" means someone who "file", or la coiffeuse , the one who coiffe)

so it might be a woman who gives joy

another idea , more far-fetched : any link with the ballet "the gipsy" in 1839, in which Essler danced

The speaker is Elssler herself, allegedly. So I doubt that she'd be telling guys with muskets, "Hi, I'm a hooker!" (Then again, maybe she would! That's one way to appeal to a soldier! :wink: ) As to "La Gipsy", right on! The folktale runs that she got out of her arrest by dancing the Cracovienne from "Le Diable Boiteux" and was just launching into the cachucha from "La Gipsy" when the guard changed. I'm preparing an article on the story.