This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

vladimir malakhov

jose manuel

hi

I have had the privilege of seeing on tape vladimir malakhov at the moscow international competition in 1989. he performed Narcisse (he obviously won the gold medal in this competition)

seeing him,I though that three gods of dance have danced Narcisse: Nijinski c. fokin, and Vladimir Vasiliev and Vladimir Malakhov c. Goleizovsky.

just curiosity,I have been searching on the net malakhov´s age and it doesnt appear,not even in his official website. is his age a secret??

jose manuel

I just checked a few reference books and he's not listed in them, unfortunately . But a close guess would be that he was 18 when he won that competition in 1989.

(I saw him do "Narcissus" too, Jose Manuel, and I thought it was stunning. A hard role for a young man to do, perhaps, but he had the spirit of it.)

I've just spent the last half-hour going through pages and pages of Google links, and nowhere is there an age. I've checked the New York Public Library catalogue, though, and it lists his birth date as 1968. (One thing everyone seems to agree on is that he started ballet lessons at the age of four. But no year.)

hi

I have had the privilege of seeing on tape vladimir malakhov at the moscow international competition in 1989. he performed Narcisse (he obviously won the gold medal in this competition)

seeing him,I though that three gods of dance have danced Narcisse: Nijinski c. fokin,  and Vladimir Vasiliev and Vladimir Malakhov c. Goleizovsky.

just curiosity,I have been searching on the net malakhov´s age and it doesnt appear,not even in his official website. is his age a secret??

jose manuel

Hi Jose Manuel,

i agree that Malakhov is incredible, although i tend to enjoy danseurs who are more along my type (Angel Corella, Vadim Pisarev, Tetsuya Kumakawa, et al.); at least i can pretend i am those guys, unlike the beautiful long-limbed, amazing lined guys like Malakhov, Stiefel, et al.

Anyway, i recently got a dvd called MY FAVORITE THINGS which is a dvd of 3 episodes of a UK tv programme (apprently). The first episode features Malakhov with a short interview with him and him performing Manon pas de deux with Diana Vishneva, a solo, and another pas de deux with someone i forget right now. Part 2 was Lucia Lacarra and her fiancee(?). Part 3 was a japanese female ballerina who i forget right now.

it's worht checking out.

-goro-

Malakhov came to SanFrancisco with the Moscow Classical Ballet in about 1990, and danced Adam in hte creation of hte world -- he reminded me of Bambi, SO young, , vulnerable, not on his legs yet (asa character) fabulous in every way, those feet!!! but eveything about him was consistent. He had the refinement of temperament to go with those proprtions, and a complete technique, so there was no self-indulgence. We all adored him.

Cyril Pierre lived and danced here for several years, with his wife Lucia Lacarra, who was a sensational but controversial dancer here. There was no controversy about Pierre -- he is a powerful and imaginative soloist and a superb partner.

I didn't realize until today, when scrolling through the new releases at Dance Books, Ltd. site, that there was a book published in 2006 called, Malakhov's Sleeping Beauty: escapades with the Berlin State Opera Ballet.

http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/titles/4881.asp

It is described as "A record, in words and many photographs (many in colour) of Vladimir Malakhov's production of Sleeping Beauty for the newly formed Berlin State Ballet, with text in both English and German," and is a hardback book.

I'm assuming it's a foreign import, because amazon.com is selling it for $47.27, with a 4-6 week lead time (which is comparable to the 24.50 GBP plus shipping price at Dance Books.)

The screenshot of the cover on amazon.com has the German title and in the "used" book section, one of the sellers has a note that the book is in German. The screenshot of the cover on Dance Books is in English, and it may be a different edition, as it's described as being in both German and English.