This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Landgraf on Dutch National Ballet's "Don Quixote"

https://www.ilona-landgraf.com/2018/02/the-art-of-storytelling/

Sorry if admin has already posted this elsewhere, wanted to make sure. This year is certainly the "Don Q" year with a plethora of stagings all over Europe. Rome Opera Ballet has staged it, it's on in Amsterdam, I am going to see two shows in one day at Helsinki in March, La Scala Ballet will stage it in July, it's on at the Bolshoy and Mariinka and God knows where else. If I were forced to choose one ballet only this would be it :  wonderful ballet music with unforgettable tunes, excellent choreo, sequences for virtuoso technique display for who has it, chance to display dazzling scenery and costumes for companies with the budget, you name it. My eyes almost popped out the first time I saw it at the Bolshoy : when the curtain opened almost the whole company of 250 was on stage - goodness me !

Even my local company, Atlanta Ballet, did a staging of Don Q this year (by Yuri Possokhov based on the traditional Petipa/Gorsky template). 

But at the Bolshoi and Mariinsky I doubt a season goes by without performances of this ballet.

I think it suits some companies and dancers better than others.

Edited by Drew