• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 08:11 PM

Rkoretzky, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only Cohen lover who thought McDonough deserved the nod.

I agree that Bayadere doesn't suit Hughes at all; as I recall, didn't she skate to Don Q last year or the year before? That wasn't a good fit either. I was trying to figure out just what music WOULD be appropriate and I keep coming up with pop music.

That could be an interesting thread in and of itself: Match the music to the skater. I always want to see Cohen skating to something less fiery than the music she chooses - perhaps L'Apres Midi d'un Faun or Peer Gynt.

I think I'm one of the few people who LIKES Dick Button's commentary. I grew up on him. All's not right with the world if Button isn't at the announcing booth during a figure skating competition. He's the slightly silly uncle at the dinner table who always tells the same jokes at every family event.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:09 AM

Thanks to ALL of you for your wonderful reports and comments. I am now truly looking forward to my Nationals tapes-fix, courtesy of 'Doctor Mom'! [On the phone this am, she told me that I had lots of funny Dick Button comments to look forward to...as well as Sasha Cohen's 'sour grapes face' (mom's words) backstage, when she learns she dropped to 3rd place..oh, dear...]

I am thrilled for both Weiss and Kwan. As much as I love Sasha, I'm all for the right competitor winning gold, on a given night. It sounds as if Sasha did not deserve to win Nationals last Saturday.

Now I'm even more curious as to how that Grand Prix finals will turn out. I'll try my best to report on the G-P from St Pete (in between Mariinsky Festival ballets) and the Worlds in DC (I'll be there for last five days or so...maybe some of you will be there too?).

Now, how did the European Championships go...

#18 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 02:41 PM

Jeannie, and others:

Sasha Cohen certainly did not deserve to win the gold on Saturday. I don't think there is a person anywhere, who would advocate for anyone but Michelle. It was her--and everyone else.

By the way, I learned the term for that move that I described--the head to the knee thing. It is called a "charlotte" and a few other skaters do it too. But no one does it as well as Sasha.

The other move that I just love is the spread eagle, especially as done by the men. Will anyone ever be able to touch Brian Boitano in that? Ryan Jahnke has a beautiful position in his. I guess it really isn't about the jumps for me although it is a thrill to see a perfect one landed.

Interesting discussion about the music. I will say that the sound equipment at the American Airlines Center leaves a lot to be desired and as a music lover, it is sometimes painful to hear badly made cuts, and terrible arrangements of lovely music. I'm not terribly fond of Sasha's Carmen, because I don't think it suits her. I'd rather see her in something soft and lyrical, too. As for Sarah, she strikes me as a real teenager, giggly and sometimes goofy. I don't always have that impression from the others. So I think pop music is right on for her--and I don't mean to diminish either her or the music by saying so. My favorite routine of hers is her Fosse sytle exhibition piece.

Re the Worlds--Jeannie, I'll get back to you on that. I am seriously considering giving it a try. If it wsn't for the conference and Kennedy Center festival that are calling me to Washington the previous week, it would be a definite. And it still may happen.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, rk...do let me know. We can share reporting duties, along with all of the other DC-based BalletAlertniks who may attend all or part of the competition.

I need a trip to DC like a 'hole in the head' right now, with all that's going on in my work in Moscow. However, I bought one all-event ticket (club-level seat...nice...) at not-too-cheap price almost two years ago and I'll be ***** if I let this opportunity pass me by to see a Worlds live. So I am in the ABSURD position of traveling from my new home to my former home to see an event which, I thought, I'd be seeing 'at home'! Life is strange. Go figure. :) At least the airline fares aren't too bad in March, especially when purchased in Russia...dramatically cheaper than a round-trip fare for a trip commencing in the USA.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:57 PM

I've learned more about skating from Button's commentary than anyone else's. I don't always agree with him, but that's because I know more (and much of I wouldn't know if not for him!) He has his quirks, but most of the time they don't bother me and like vagansmom I greet them as old friends. However, repeatedly informing an audience of millions that a skater -- any skater has perfect technique when it's clear to even an inexpert eye like mine that there are problems is a bit much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):