This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB "Midsummer's ..." Wednesday 6/27

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 11:46 PM

Hi!
Great night at NYCB!! I'm not overly fond of Balanchine's version of Midsummer's- it's a bit confusing when it comes to the storyline, and the second act seems like somewhat of an afterthought. However,whatever qualms I have about the production, the dancing was stellar!

As Oberon, Damian Woetzel was properly regal, and put on his usual show during his solo parts. It's interesting, as someone commented in another post, how popular he is with the NYCB crowd, yet you don't hear much about him outside the NY dance world. The only realy glitch occured when Oberon "used" the magic flower on Titania-the flower part had fallen off, so Titania was bewitched by a stem! I assume that normally, the flower part is still attached!!
Jenni Somogyi was fantastic as Hippolyta-great energy in the foutte sequence. I think she got the loudest applause of the first act. Jared Angle made his debut as Titania's cavalier. His partnering was solid, though I think it will be smoother with more experience. And his solo bit was spot on! Unfortunately he did not get a bow-does Titania's cavalier generally not come out for the 1st act bows?
Kudos also to Kipling Houston for an excellent job with the tricky partnering in the role of Bottom. It's one thing to partner, another to do it while wearing an asses head!
The highlight of the night for me (other than seeing Damian dance!) was the 2nd act pas se deux. Phillip Neal and Miranda Weese were outstanding-probably the best I've seen them dance.
All in all, well worth the aggrivation of driving into NYC! I can't wait to see the multitude of debuts on Friday!
Good news-Amar Ramasar has apparently gotten his corps contract. BTW-apprentices now only can stay a maximum of one year before getting a corps contract or being asked to leave.
Kate

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 10:38 AM

Thanks, sneds! Kipling Houston is still doing Bottom? Amazing!

#3 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 11:59 AM

Hi!
Yup..Kipling is still dancing! I saw him last month in Tschaik.third, in the first movement. Looking back at old programs, it turns out that my parents saw Kipling dance the same role back in 1987 or so!! Wow!!! Talk about longetivity...and he still dances well.
Kate

#4 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 01:31 PM

Sneds - Thanks for the report. A couple of qq's. Who danced Titania? (You mention Woetzel's Oberon & Somogyi's Hippolyta...but no Titania.) Also, what did Neal & Weese dance...the Act II Divertissement pdd?

#5 pookey

pookey

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 03:05 PM

Who is dancing Hermia and Helena?

#6 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 03:21 PM

Hi!
In the future, if you don't want to wait, you can always check recent casting at the NYCB webpage.
Wendy Whelan was Titania, Rachel Rutherford was Hermia and Dena Abergel was Helena.
Yes Neal and Weese did the Act 2 Divertissement PDD.
Kate

#7 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 06:20 PM

Kiplin Houston was *already* dancing with NYCB back in 1977 when I started attending regularly! I think Kyra Nichols and Helene Alexopoulos are the only other active NYCB dancers who have been around as long -- Nichols joined in 1974 and Alexopoulos in 1977 or 78. I'll miss them all when they retire!

Houston danced Lysander on Tuesday night when I attended Dream. I'm also going Friday and Saturday nights in some sort of compare / contrast frenzy, and will try to report back when the dust settles ... Judging from the cast lists, hardly anyone will repeat the same role twice.

Here's the rest of Tuesday's cast:

Titania: D. Kisler
Oberon: P. Boal
Puck: A. Evans
Helena: K. Tracey
Hermia: P. van Kipnis
Lysander: K. Houston
Demetrius: A. Higgins
Hippolyta: J. Somogyi (sub for Meunier -- hope she's not injured again ...)
Theseus: H. Seth (sub for R. Lyon)
Cavalier: C. Askegard
Bottom: J. Fayette
Butterfly: J. Taylor
Divertissement: M. Weese (sub for Whelan) and J. Soto
Andrea Quinn conducted

The house was PACKED, by the way, which surprised me for some reason.

On aa related note: there is an interview with Albert Evans in this week's Time Out NY in which he discusses his fondess for the role of Puck, among other things. He's apparently choreographing something for the next Diamond Project.

#8 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 10:15 PM

Tuesday night's performance was great. And plenty of Ballet Alerters there too.

#9 stan

stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 09:12 AM

Carla Körbes made an unscheduled debut Thursday night (Darci cancelled). I thought she was sensational -- regal and completely at ease as if she was born to the role. Boal was as impressive as I've seen him recently. And what about those doubles by Jennie Somogyi!

The house was packed last night as well. I got the impression there were a lot of non-regulars.

#10 justafan

justafan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 10:09 AM

I was at last night's performance as well. I agree that Korbes was lovely. She was very youthful in the role, which is a change from the last two times I've seen it performed (Kistler and Whelan.) I do think Korbes needs a bit more polish in her port de bras, but otherwise, she did a wonderful job.

As you said, Boal danced as well as I've seen him dance. And Somogyi, well. . . I can't say enough about her virtuosity and energy. We were also treated to Evans as Puck. He is just stupendous.

There were a lot of substituions last night, not just Kistler. Somogyi danced in place of Meunier, as well. Although I like Meunier, I can't say I was disappointed by Somogyi. And Fayette danced in place of Askegard as the Titania's Cavalier.

All did well, but I wonder what happened -- were people really sick/injured, or was there just a reshuffling for scheduling reasons?

#11 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 10:14 AM

It's the end of the season - by this point substitutions are rife, and they are usually injury.

quoting Barnes on the Tuesday night performance with Andrea Quinn conducting:

She has conducted for City Ballet before, but now, just returned from pregnancy leave, she takes up her new appointment with a speed, zest and brilliance that promises lively times ahead for the dancers and the orchestra.

Translation: According to the dancers, the ballet clocked in at 7 minutes under normal timing, five of them in the first act. I don't think it allowed them to give value to the choreography in Act I.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Leigh Witchel ]

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 12:14 PM

I hope all you New Yorkers have picked up on the fact that scheduling "A Midsummer Night's Dream" this week may not be a coincidence. It IS Midsummer Night this weekend. Glad Sankt Hans Aften.

Perhaps speeding batons are part of the Misdummer Madness/Magic.

#13 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 01:23 PM

As we sat down for the Tuesday night performance, I saw that Andrea Quinn was conducting, and I said to my friend, "Oh good! We'll be out of here by ten."

Once again, Quinn contributed to my musical education. A year ago, I learned from her that much of the score of Swan Lake was, in fact, written by John Philip Sousa. Now I know that the ever-versatile Sousa also composed incidental music for A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The mind boggles at the thought of Quinn conducting Stars and Stripes. I have this nightmare vision of the men in Rifle Regiment scattering around the stage like bowling pins while attempting those mulitiple double-tours.

When the curtain came down (despite the spritely pace, it was a heavenly performance), I turned to my friend and said, "OK, what time is it?"

"9:59."

#14 stan

stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 02:11 PM

Speaking of Quinn, was it my imagination or was there a false start at the beginning of the second scene. I had the impression that one of the winds blew (so to speak) his entrance.

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 02:24 PM

Manhattnik, I will be laughing happily at the Sousa "Swan Lake" for months! Thank you :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):