This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2015 Met Season (Wish Lists and Predictions)

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Ditto for Suite en Blanc, it would be a wonderful opener.

Something for the men - Bejart's Bolero starring Gomes of course.

As for Balanchine, they should revive La Sonnambula - a mysterious

story with several featured roles.

And that's my dream mixed bill!

#92 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

My crystal ball refused to work during the 2014 Met season but once the season ended, it finally comes thru, here's my prediction for the next Met season:

Swan Lake
New Sleeping Beauty
Ashton Cinderella
Bayadere
R&J
Othello
Les Sylphides, T&V

There's one more full length and some one-act ballets remaining to complete the list, I'll update the list when my crystal ball allows.

Ashton Cinderella is no surprise, new production usually returns the next year, plus ABT will be doing it in DC this coming March. Many of the ballets in 2015 Met and fall seasons are considered as part of ABT heritage. Sir Kenneth staged R&J for ABT during his tenure as associate director. ABT is the first western company to stage the full length Bayadere. Many consider ABT's Les Sylphides as the definitive version as the last version personally supervised by Fokine with a Britten arrangement commissioned by ABT. And Balanchine created T&V for ABT.

Also, the 10-year contract at the Met will expire at the end of the 2015 Met season. The contract usually renewed without much snafus in the past, and I hope the ongoing union negotiation at the Met doesn't complicate things for 2016 and beyond.

#93 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Is the Othello in the crystal ball the Lar Lubovitch Othello or the John Neumeier Othello (or something else)?

#94 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Is the Othello in the crystal ball the Lar Lubovitch Othello or the John Neumeier Othello (or something else)?

The version on the ABT web site is Lubovitch. It would be odd to spend a lot of money mounting a new version, when they seem to have done Lubovitch as recently as 2007 (at least) and it's quite good.

http://www.abt.org/e...ts/othello.html

There's a fabulous clip of Gomes and Ferri from that production: 

#95 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Could Giselle be the one remaining full length?  It sells well if the cast is strong.  An end of season Giselle week, with Osipova as a guest artist following the conclusion of the Royal's US Tour, would be a thrill..  I hope they present Othello the same week as the RB's visit.  I have no problem missing all of the Othellos.  Actually, I take that back.  I would go to a Gomes Vishneva Othello.

#96 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Could Giselle be the one remaining full length?  It sells well if the cast is strong.  An end of season Giselle week, with Osipova as a guest artist following the conclusion of the Royal's US Tour, would be a thrill..  I hope they present Othello the same week as the RB's visit.  I have no problem missing all of the Othellos.  Actually, I take that back.  I would go to a Gomes Vishneva Othello.

Gisele also appears in another "crystal ball"along with Mussel's list. Maybe, Othello will be Julie's farewell?

#97 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Assuming ABT renews for another multi year stint at the MET, I'm wondering whether Gelb's "facility fee" tacked on to every ticket will also become a fixture at ABT starting in 2016.

#98 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

The 75th Anniversary banner is already up on ABT website with Gillian in T&V costume and Marcelo in Fancy Free sailor suit in front of the plaza fountain.

#99 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I have no problem missing all of the Othellos.  Actually, I take that back.  I would go to a Gomes Vishneva Othello.

Gomes just sent out this Instagram from the Lubovitch Othello: http://instagram.com/p/qUqiRjCuah/

He says "coming soon" -- as it's not on the fall NYC schedule, perhaps it will be performed in winter touring and/or the Met 2015 season. But now that Radetsky has retired...not sure what message he's sending with this. Maybe that's the only photo he had of himself.

#100 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Attached is an AP article on Hallberg based on an interview he gave.

http://www.nytimes.c...i.html?ref=arts#

Most interesting is the following:

He also wants to dance again with Natalia Osipova, a former Bolshoi and ABT star who's now with London's Royal Ballet. Ballet fans went nuts over their "Romeo and Juliet" for ABT, a pairing that brought out the best in both. But she left the Bolshoi just as he was arriving.

"Next year, we're going to have more chances," he promises. "I can't tell you details yet, but we're desperate to dance together."

Here's hoping that he is referring to potential appearances with Osipova at ABT next season.   We're desperate to see these two together again too!

#101 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

He may be referring to the fact that he is dancing Giselle with her at La Scala next April. 

Source: http://www.teatroall...15/giselle.html

Perhaps he may have a guesting assignment as well in the Royal's season - although that has not been announced ... or perhaps in a gala appearance of which Osipova does many.  I know she is doing one on 7th December in Moscow so it might well be local for Hallberg (if he is not Nutcrackering in Brooklyn :)  

#102 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

It would be very interesting if Hallberg spent a couple years at the Royal... His POB training is apparent in his dancing... Is there evidence of the Bolshoi influence yet? If he were to turn teacher/ballet master in his later years, he would have an amazing background to draw on...

#103 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

Perhaps he may have a guesting assignment as well in the Royal's season - although that has not been announced ... or perhaps in a gala appearance of which Osipova does many.  I know she is doing one on 7th December in Moscow so it might well be local for Hallberg (if he is not Nutcrackering in Brooklyn smile.png

Royal is doing Swan Lake next Feb-March, but Osipova has already been announced with Golding. Are there things later in the season that they might do?
http://www.roh.org.u...nd-dance-201415

#104 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

In some ways, it makes perfect sense that Osipova might appear at ABT next spring.  The Royal will be in New York as its last stop on the US tour.  After the tour is completed, the Royal is done for the season, right?  Since she will be in NYC anyway, why wouldn't she sign up for a few Met shows in late June or early July?

#105 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

I had understood that the Royal is planning a London summer season next year ... so this might not be possible ... but I'm sure, if she wanted, she could easily do both ... which would be grand. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):