This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Historic Announcement at Seattle Opera

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

No, they didn't tell me what it was, but they did invite me to hear it tomorrow night.  At least they didn't announce that they were telling us [the exact announcement itself] tomorrow.

I'll report back as soon as I know.

#2 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

I checked my email announcements - so far nothing from Seattle Opera - or on their FB page.  

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I got an email reminder from SO to sign up for the event tomorrow night where it will be announced, but I won't be in Seattle then.

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think the obvious announcement would be the new AD hire, with some sort of transition period with Speight Jenkins.

However, I'm secretly hoping it's an announcement of some sort of amazing cultural exchange between Seattle Opera and oh-I-don't-know....the Bolshoi - to get a reprise of Prokofiev's War & Peace that was performed in Seattle in 1990.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=BwanMqt68AE

A girl can dream, can't she?

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I got the impression from one of the "La Voix Humaine"/"Suor Angelica" Q&A's that the announcement for the new AD will come later, but I can't remember exactly when Jenkins said.

I prefer your idea.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

It would be a thrill to get some kind of special event, but have a feeling that this is the "what happens after Speight" announcement.  Perhaps someone has endowed something extra special in his honor...

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

That would be good, too, but not as good as a cultural exchange with the Bolshoi for the return of "War and Peace."

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Maybe they are going to put the 1995 Mechanical Fafner dragon permanently in the foyer?  I loved that production:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vtgAsMC5Ors

After I saw the mechanical dragon Fafner on stage for the first time, I actually had a dream that I was a stage hand in charge of operating him for the Seattle Opera, but I didn't know how to make the levers work, and everyone was counting on me, and I was so stressed out, and Speight Jenkins was mad at me, and........then I woke up!

I still want that Fafner in my yard, though.  Better than any life-size X-wing fighter to impress the neighborhood geeks.  

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Oh that would be fantastic -- I like that sculpture they've got hanging from the ceiling, but it doesn't really move -- such a waste.

#10 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Oh that would be fantastic -- I like that sculpture they've got hanging from the ceiling, but it doesn't really move -- such a waste.

Is that the chandelier with empty water bottles and rubber ducks that you are talking about? That made me laugh, because my mother could have made that! She is sort of a hoarder and then creates artwork that she hangs all over the house, and I keep telling her she should start going to art shows, because she makes things like that chandelier just to amuse herself and have some use of the plastic containers she won't throw away ever.

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I never noticed the rubber ducks. I'll have to look next time.

#12 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

I am officially christening that (horrible plastic) chandelier "The Hoarder Chandelier".  

#13 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I am officially christening that (horrible plastic) chandelier "The Hoarder Chandelier".  

I think it is unexpected and sort of funny. I really do suspect the person who created it might be like my mother. When I saw it, however, I turned to my partner and said, "My mother could have made that! I bet they gave the person a lot of money for this literal junk!" LOL

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Well, if massive amounts of money are being thrown around, I'm hoping someone has endowed the Young Artists program with enough cash to run indefinitely, adding technical young artists into the mix, and that they'll name it all for Jenkins, including the space for them in the arena offices/shops building.

It would be really great if someone threw a pile of money at taping the Ring this summer.

Argh, at this rate Bill Gates couldn't fund all of the "really greats."

#15 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well, if massive amounts of money are being thrown around, I'm hoping someone has endowed the Young Artists program with enough cash to run indefinitely, adding technical young artists into the mix, and that they'll name it all for Jenkins, including the space for them in the arena offices/shops building.

It would be really great if someone threw a pile of money at taping the Ring this summer.

Argh, at this rate Bill Gates couldn't fund all of the "really greats."

That Ring really should be taped. I can't believe they can't find enough money for that. Surely, some billionaire Ring lover would foot the bill! Somehow money is found for Ring Cycles that do not deserve a recording, but they can't find money for this one. Unbelieveable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):