33 replies to this topic

#16 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Another email offer: 

The Kennedy Center is offering a special discount offer for $25 orchestra seats for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty performances on Wednesday, November 13 at 7:30 p.m., and Friday matinee, November 15 at 1:30 p.m. 

You can click the link below and your discount will appear automatically. If you call or stop by the Box Office for the discount, be sure to mention Offer Number "166787

http://tinyurl.com/lmbyldb

I wonder if the Kennedy Center sends different discount offers to different people depending on how many shows they've seen or if they've seen specific shows. My offer specifically mentioned my attendance at the Suzanne Farrell Ballet.

#17 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Another email offer: 

The Kennedy Center is offering a special discount offer for $25 orchestra seats for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty performances on Wednesday, November 13 at 7:30 p.m., and Friday matinee, November 15 at 1:30 p.m. 

You can click the link below and your discount will appear automatically. If you call or stop by the Box Office for the discount, be sure to mention Offer Number "166787

http://tinyurl.com/lmbyldb

The Kennedy Center website appears to be selling orchestra seats for $25 even without the code. But they are still selling seats in the 2nd tier for $39 and seats in the 1st tier for $65!

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Very aggressive marketing, but the thing opens tonight and they have an awful lot of seats to sell. Does DC have a TKTS 1/2 price ticket sale booth like New York?

#19 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Following the URL automatically activates the discount offer that I posted.

You will receive offers based on past attendance.  

In addition, the subscriptions manager for the KenCen has a special Yahoo group that he will send offers to when tickets are made available to him.  This was the source of the offer I posted.

When times were better, and they just wanted bodies in the seats he even gave out comps on occassion, but that almost never happens now.

#20 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Very aggressive marketing, but the thing opens tonight and they have an awful lot of seats to sell. Does DC have a TKTS 1/2 price ticket sale booth like New York?

The centralized source for tickets in DC is called TicketPlace and Goldstar also offers 1/2 price tickets.

#21 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

The Kennedy Center website appears to be selling orchestra seats for $25 even without the code. But they are still selling seats in the 2nd tier for $39 and seats in the 1st tier for $65!

Except when a co-worker went to the KC site it showed the regular prices.

#22 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Curiosity got the better of me, so I went tonight. It didn't do much for me. OK, it wasn't as bad as Swan Lake, but the ridiculous costumes failed to disguise the simplistic and uninspired choreography. I should have known better...

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

I thought MB's Swan Lake was much better than his SB.  Most of the choreography for SB was boring and simplistic.  This is not a production for a balletomane.  I regret wasting my time and money on it when it was in New York.

#24 mimsyb

mimsyb

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I thought MB's Swan Lake was much better than his SB.  Most of the choreography for SB was boring and simplistic.  This is not a production for a balletomane.  I regret wasting my time and money on it when it was in New York.

Easily one of the best and most satisfying productions I've seen this year. Utterly original (yet there is certainly an air of reverence for the original), this is certainly not your grandma's SB.! But what terrific use of the music, and the story telling was clear and original. I thought the sets/costumes were superb and the choreography challenging and ravishing. I've seen it now five times and each time it gets better. Cast is thrilling!

#25 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

I agree with mimsby. If you go expecting classical ballet, you'll be disappointed, but as a theatrical event, it's great. The story actually made dramatic sense (which the original SB never does). The production is full of very clever and often very funny touches -- like the (spoiler alert!) 100-year-sleep in a tent with hatchmarks and the contemporary tourists with their camera phones. The historical period costumes and sets were marvelously detailed. Just great fun.

#26 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've gone to run-of-the-mill dance school presentations where I saw 14-16 year-olds perform more challenging choreography than anything that was in Sleeping Beauty. I still view Matthew Bourne's work as a satire on ballet.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Usually satire requires a great deal of mastery and technique.

It sounds to me that what Bourne was creating was theater. I think that Maillot's "Romeo et Juliette" is more successful as theater than as choreography, aside from the Friar Laurence conceit.

#28 mimsyb

mimsyb

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Usually satire requires a great deal of mastery and technique.

It sounds to me that what Bourne was creating was theater. I think that Maillot's "Romeo et Juliette" is more successful as theater than as choreography, aside from the Friar Laurence conceit.

I agree that satire requires a sure degree of mastery and technique.  I think Bourne goes beyond that here.  Even he has spoken of his great love and respect for the original versions of "SB".   Of loving the balances the ballerina does in the Rose Adagio, etc.  And I definitely think he has a great regard for the score.  He has decided to tell the story in a different fashion, using his own dance vocabulary.  No, you won't see any balances on one leg by Aurora, but you will see two very ravishing pas de deux that clearly tells us about these two lovers and what their love means to each other.  His Garland Waltz is one of the best. His use of his "corps de ballet" in the vision scene is entirely appropriate.  I could list more happy surprises in this work.  Suffice to say, yes, it was "theater" in that respect, but even so, most good dance, whether classical ballet or Paul Taylor should first and foremost be good theater.

#29 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

I wonder if Matthew Bourne has ever watched Michael Pink's Dracula. Much of the production beginning with the introduction of Caradoc  brought back memories of Dracula.

#30 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

I've never seen "rush ticket pricing" at the Kennedy Center. The co-worker that I often go to dance events with is not on their mailing list and never gets tickets at discounted prices unless I buy the tickets and use a discount code that was e-mailed to me, even though she goes to lots of programs there (she has season tickets to the National Symphony).

Another interesting item that I learned last night is that it is illegal to sell your unused tickets inside the Kennedy Center, even at a lower price than you paid for them (which led in my getting a free ticket to the National Symphony!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):