2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#301 Renata Rodrigues

Renata Rodrigues

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Nadezhda batoeva was promoted to second soloist.

http://www.mariinsky.../ballet/troupe/

#302 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Nadezhda batoeva was promoted to second soloist.

http://www.mariinsky.../ballet/troupe/

Hurray!!!! That is great news! I saw she will dance Cinderella in September too!

#303 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Just got back from seeing the Little Humpbacked Horse (Ratmansky's) at the Mariinsky II theatre.

Osmolkina was DIVINE!!! She made this ballet better than it is, in my opinion. She did the Ratmansky version of Italian Fouettes wonderfully. Not sure how else to describe them. They aren't exactly Italian Fouettes but she turns and one foot never touches the ground. There are also hops on demi-pointe several times.

Zyuzin was good but not as good as Sarafanov in this role. Zyuzin did turns in 2nd instead of the turns Sarafanov did. But Zyuzin's boyish puppy dog look was perfect for the role! He acted very well. I find him a little too "Boy Next Door" for princely roles but his face and temperament are perfect for Ivan.

Gumerova was a bit disappointing when I compare her to Kondaurova as Sea Queen. Gumerova did not have as fluid an upper body and I think it is especially important for the Sea Queen.

There is a new dancer (or one I never heard of) Trofim Malanov who looks a little stiff! He and Smekalov played the big horses and sea horses and Smekalov showed how it is done!

Islom Bauradov was deliciously evil as the Gentleman of the Bedchamber.

Vladislav Shumakov had a great debut as the humpbacked horse. His solos were very good.

The boiling water is no longer clear with moving bubbles. Now it is cloudy and bubbles sitting on top like a bubble bath. It helps the transformation of Ivan to come off more smoothly but no longer looks like it is boiling.

Some will disagree with me for saying this but I liked the interior (lobby) of M-2. It was nicer than I thought, and the 4th level had a gallery of costumes which was nice. I got to go to the terrace on top before the show, but I don't think the view is all that great. The exterior of M-2 is very ugly but the lobby (mainly due to the gold onyx) is nice, I think. The actual inside (seating area) is bland and I don't love it or hate it.

The acoustics (at least from the second row) sounded great.

The historic theatre is still much more beautiful, but I thought the new M-2 looked better than many American performing arts centers. I saw lots of empty seats though. The seats are much more comfortable than in the historic theatre. You have tons of leg room!

#304 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Performance of LHH sounds lovely--very much hope I can see Osmolkina one day.  I have a question about Mariinsky II though: Were you sitting in the second row downstairs (that is, orchestra seats)?  I was curious if you can see the floor and the dancers' feet from that close. (I realize it's different depending on one's height, but I was wondering what your experience was.)

#305 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Performance of LHH sounds lovely--very much hope I can see Osmolkina one day.  I have a question about Mariinsky II though: Were you sitting in the second row downstairs (that is, orchestra seats)?  I was curious if you can see the floor and the dancers' feet from that close. (I realize it's different depending on one's height, but I was wondering what your experience was.)

Yes, 2nd row of orchestra is where I sat, and I saw feet without problem. However I noticed the first few rows are level so a tall person could block your view. After the 4th or 5th row the orchestra seats are raked and start to go up. So it is better to sit in Row 5 probably. I chose using the online diagram and it looked like the seats started farther away from the stage because the pit is large so it looked like row 2 was far enough back but I think Row 5 or 6 might be better. I liked seeing the faces up close though.

#306 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Yes, 2nd row of orchestra is where I sat, and I saw feet without problem. However I noticed the first few rows are level so a tall person could block your view. After the 4th or 5th row the orchestra seats are raked and start to go up. So it is better to sit in Row 5 probably. I chose using the online diagram and it looked like the seats started farther away from the stage because the pit is large so it looked like row 2 was far enough back but I think Row 5 or 6 might be better. I liked seeing the faces up close though.

Thank you. Looking forward to hearing about other performances you see...

#307 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thank you. Looking forward to hearing about other performances you see...

I have another Humpbacked Horse with Anastasia Kolegova and Sergeyev and then Giselle with Somovs and fly home Thursday. As much as I love it here, I am ready to go home and hug my dog! My partner says she killed a chicken that somehow got in our backyard the other day. She is a boxer/lab and loves to hunt (father was a boxer and mother was a lab). Some fools have chickens that walk loose around the neighborhood, and it is a historic neighborhood near downtown!!! Not really a farming area!!! So I am not paying to replace the chicken!!!!

#308 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Another wonderful night! Tonight was another performance of The Little Humpbacked Horse at the M-2. Anastasia Kolegova is a favorite. She has to be the most beautiful (face) ballerina at the Mariinsky, in my personal opinion. She has a reserved stage presence usually so I was unsure if she could make the more "pop" moments of LHBH work, but she did better than I imagined. She was as good as Osmolkina, but in different ways! More later. Have met a friend out at a bar tonight.

#309 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

I wanted to make some comments about last night that I didn't have time to make until now. Both Humpbacked Horse casts (last night and the night before) were strong, and I would tie Osmolkina and Kolegova. Both were terrific as the Tsar Maiden. They both are technically strong, charming, and incredible upper body and seaweed flowing arms. To me that is a Mariinsky trademark and even the men have it to an extent. if the seaweed's not flowing I look at the bio and usually that explains it (not Vaganova trained or did not train the whole time at Vaganova). The only thing Kolegova has over Osmolkina is that Kolegova is a stunning beauty that probably turns most men's heads when she enters a room!

I actually preferred Maxim Zyuzin's Ivan better than Alexander Sergeyev's Ivan. Sergeyev looks like a stronger technician, but Zyuzin had a boyish charm and dramatic commitment that made you care about Ivan.

Grigory Popov was the better humpbacked horse, but Shumakov had a solid debut in the role the night before. I believe Popov has danced it many times, and it shows. His entrechats during the boiling cauldron scene were amazing!

I felt Petushkova was a much better Mare and Sea Queen than Gumerova the night before.

The rest of last night's cast was the same otherwise.

Tonight I see Somova's return as Giselle, and I have to say I might not report on it because it always causes attacks on her no matter how she dances. It will depend on my mood whether I report.

#310 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Birdsall, thank you so much for your reports! 

On a much lower (?) tone, Laura Cappelle of London's Financial Times has weighed in with a sobering tome

on the current state of the Mariinsky Ballet.

http://www.ft.com/in...l#axzz2ae1Vd9yG

#311 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think she is saying all the things we are worried about.

Giselle tonight was very nice. I know how many feel about Somova, and I wasn't going to post and cause people to fight, but here goes: I thought she was lovely tonight. A couple of grand jetes had her legs coming more into a upward curve rather than straight horizontal so some will complain about that, but I thought her acting and dancing were great. The audience seemed mostly Russian (all other nights I heard lots of other languages), and they loved her. I know I am going to be beat up for liking her!

Ivanchenko was sort of himself and all that implies. I think he would be wonderful if someone gave him 5 espressos before going onstage because he is very capable. He just seems lethargic.

In contrast, Smekalov as Hans was very dramatic and high energy!!! Promote this guy!!!

Kampa was much better tonight than in the past. Her Queen of the Dryads last week was really sad, in my opinion, but tonight she had a good night for her. But there are better Myrthas in the company. But I do want to give her credit for improving.

Yevseyeva was smooth as silk in the peasant pas de deux!!! She handled the turns that end with the two linking arms as if it were the easiest thing in the world!

Timofeyev partnered her wonderfully, and was also terrific in his variation. I saw him as I walked back to my hotel, and I said, "Bravo!" and he smiled and said, "Spasiba!" These little moments like that are fun!

#312 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

#313 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

#314 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

#315 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

I am finally home and had a full night's rest and long shower. I was upgraded to Business class on Air France coming home. Heavenly! I could turn the seat into a bed and lie down completely. What a spectacular way to end my trip! Real glasses for wine. Real silverware. White tablecloths....I wish Air France could take over all American airlines and implement their style and class. Even when I have flown Coach (and that is what I was supposed to fly this time), Coach has more room and also you are treated better on Air France than any American airline. 

Anyway, the reason for posting is that I forgot to mention that seeing the Mariinsky corps in Giselle was amazing! I mean, you just can't take your eye off them! It is like the loveliest thing in the world!!! It becomes really hard when the lead dancers are dancing with the corps dancing in the background because you want to see both things even if the corps is repeating the same steps. It is mesmerizing. 

The audience at Somova's Giselle was very different (from my impression) than the other shows. It felt more like a truly Russian audience as opposed to tourists. Maybe because the White Nights festival was officially over. I don't know. 

The two shows at M-2 (both Little Humpbacked Horse) had lots of empty seats, but, in contrast, the historic theatre was always totally packed. I wonder if this is how it will always be. One of the clerks at my hotel told me she thought the M-2 was horrible. I told her that I know it has been controversial and I understood why someone would not like it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):