This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Program 3 2011Classical Symphony, Nanna's Lied, Artifact Suite

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

jsmu -
I will be sure to pass on this post to Elizabeth. I first saw her in class when she was seven years old (her older sister was a wonderful dancer too) and we all knew she had "it" then.

Hamburg was a wonderful place for her to be. As you may know it is a company that celebrates dancers as the get older and the repertory suited all of her (formidable) talents quite well. Plus she met and married a wonderful man (a dancer) and has two gorgeous children AND she's a terrific mom and very happy retired and living in place she loves very much. I do miss her greatly.

Best,
B
[/quote]

Brioche, that's extremely kind of you--I appreciate it tremendously. I always regretted not having been able to tell her how much beauty and irrepressible joy her dancing gave me. I'm glad to hear that she is happy in Hamburg--really, I meant the tragedy was ours, to lose such a great ballerina...:-)

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

As to Artifact Suite -- are you telling me there's a whole ballet that consists of an entire evening of this?????? Loved it, but really wish someone had warned me what was coming: I'd have worn a crash helmet.

Actually, there isn't - the full version is significantly different. What got excised was mostly theater - two speaking characters, a full section (the third, weakest, portion) the character of the "mud woman" is more robust (the solo woman - who in the full version is in fact caked with mud) and the remainder has been rearranged. Parts of the first section of the full ballet are at the end of the suite.

I happen to like the Suite, and love the full ballet. I'd like SF to tackle the full version. It's demanding for the audience and occasionally pretentious as well, but it has a courage no work has had for decades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):