This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB Video Dancer Profiles

I've created this thread for PNB Dancer Profiles videos.

The subject of the latest is Carla Korbes:

Towards the end, the clips are:

"Black Swan Pas de Deux" (K. Stowell, after Petipa), with Stanko Milov

"Dances at a Gathering", (Robbins) with Karel Cruz (Boy in Green)

"Nutcracker Snowfall Pas de Deux" (K. Stowell), with Milov

"West Side Story Suite: America" (Robbins), with Chalnessa Eames and Lindsi Dec in the background

"After the Rain Pas de Deux" (Wheeldon), with Batkhurel Bold

"Rose Adagio" (Hynd after Petipa)

"3 Movements" (Millepied), with Bold

"Opus 111" (Tharp)

"Romeo et Juliette Balcony Pas de Deux" (Maillot), with Lucien Postlewaite

An earlier in the series is of Barry Kerollis:

The background music is by William Lin-Yee.

Next in the series is Jonathan Porretta:

When he speaks about favorite roles, the clips are from Tetley's "Rite of Spring", "Prodigal Son", and "in the middle, somewhat elevated".

I love the petite allegro he does right after the Forsythe clip.

In the final montage, I recognized him in:

"Rubies"

Mercutio (Maillot's "Romeo et Juliette")

"Square Dance" (male solo)

Boy in Brown from "Dances at a Gathering", with Chalnessa Eames (Apricot)

"One flat thing reproduced", with, I think, Jodie Thomas to the right.

"Symphony in C" 3rd Movement, with Kaori Nakamura

I think the Quijada piece, with James Moore to the right and Barry Kerollis to the left

"Agon" first pas de trois. Four Temperaments (see post #3 below) I can't tell who the women are from that short clip.

I'm not sure what the last clip is from, where he's wearing the brown shirt and black tights.

The score is by William Lin-Yee.

Edited by Helene
To correct mistake

Not a video profile, but there's Part 1 of an interview with Porretta on the PNB blog, in which he elaborates on some of the topics he speaks about in the video profile. He also talks about the knee surgery he had right after "Coppelia" at the end of last season, as well as favorite restaurants, strengths, and weaknesses, and other topics:

http://www.pnb.org/Blog/

We're promised Part 2 next week.

Lucien Postlewaite:

I'm not remembering in which ballet there was a Gorilla, lol.

Clips from:

"Prodigal Son" (Balanchine). I think the Father is Otto Neubert.

"Romeo et Juliette" - Romeo (Maillot). Jonathan Porretta (Mercutio) is to the right. I'm not certain who the Benvolio is to the left. My guess would be Josh Spell. Then Postlewaite and Carla Korbes (Juliet).

"Red Angels" (Dove)

"Dances at a Gathering" - Boy in Brown (Robbins)

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" - Oberon (Balanchine)

Not sure about the ballet where he's in black, but from the end credits, by process of elimination, it's by Todd Bolender

"Petite Mort" (Kylian)

"West Side Story Suite" (Robbins)

"Square Dance" - Man's Solo (Balanchine)

"3 Movements" (Millepied)

The ballet with the gorilla looks like the finale of Souvenirs by Todd Bolender. The costumes and set look very familiar to me, we performed it with the Harkness.

:wub: Then I'm not sure from the closing credits what work he was dancing in all black, since they say:

Choreography

Prodigal Son

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Square Dance

by George Balanchine

(Trust copyright)

Dances at a Gathering

West Side Story Suite

by Jerome Robbins

by Jean-Christophe Maillot

by Ulysses Dove

by Todd Bolender

by Jiri Kylian

3 Movements

by Benjamin Millepied

It's not "Sechs Tanze". Maybe the Dove I missed? Maybe another Dove I saw?

Next up is Lindsi Dec:

There are excerpts from three works:

"Petite Mort" with her husband Karel Cruz

"Jardi Tancat", alone, with the entire cast, and with Cruz

Tall Girl in "Rubies", with four of the male corps, the entire cast, and then in front of the curtain, with Noelani Pantastico and Benjamin Griffiths.

I readily admit to being a "performing arts junkie" (strange perhaps for someone who studied physics, and whose personal passions run toward backpacking and skiing). What is it that brings me back again and again to see artists in ballet, opera, or the theater? First, it is definitely the performers more than the piece.....it is for that reason that live performance is so electric. But as I think about it, it is those moments, not frequent enough, but plenty often for a junkie like me, when a performer rises above (or perhaps outside) him or herself.....those moments of magic when the piece, the person, the training, the concepts, the spectacle all combine into "art" that has me return time and again.

Something is affirmed for me as I watch Lindsi in this interview. She spoke of 3 roles that were transcending for her (see Helene's post above). Something went "click" in the universe as I watched these clips and I remembered how I felt as an audience member when she did each of these 3 roles. I've been a fan of Lindsi's for a long time, but particularly in each of these 3 roles, she created that magic I'm so addicted to. Yes, she has done other wonderful dancing over the years I've seen her at PNB, but I distinctly remember her performance in each of these 3 roles. Each of these times she went beyond herself into what those in the sports world often call "the zone". How wonderful and magical it is that at those same moments when Lindsi was transported, so was I in the audience. She knew it, and I knew it....in those very moments. My physics background tells me such magic is impossible, but it is none the less the existence of that magic has me return again and again for more. Thank you Lindsi for having the commitment and the courage to go to that place where magic defies physics

Jeffrey Stanton:

The ballets he doesn't identify himself are "In the middle, somewhat elevated" (blue unitard), "Swan Lake" (blue velvet), "Jardi Tancat" (beige shirt, brown pants), 4T's -- Phlegmatic (white shirt, black tights), "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" (all black), "Take Five, More or Less" (black, with Leslie Rausch in purple dress), "Agon" (more white and black), and "Silver Lining" (top hat and tails).

The brief snippet of "Romeo and Juliet" is Kent Stowell's "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet".

Maria Chapman:

I'm pretty sure that her partner in "Symphony in C" (2nd Movement) is Jeffrey Stanton, and the man who pulls her up by the waist in "One flat thing, reproduced" is Batkhurel Bold, who was her "Symphony in C" partner when she made her debut under Russell and Stowell. Stanton also partners her in the "Walking Pas de Deux" from "Emeralds" while she speaks briefly about what it was like to be coached by Violette Verdy and Mimi Paul. I don't recognize her partner from the clip, but when I saw her in it in 2006, Casey Herd was in the same cast.

In the video montage at the end, Chapman dances in:

Millepied's "3 Movements*" with Seth Orza

Myrtha in "Giselle"

"One for My Baby" for "Nine Sinatra Songs" with Anton Pankevich -- she is genius in this

"Russian" from Kent Stowell's "Swan Lake"

Stowell's "Cinderella" -- it looks like the "Seasons" divertissement to me

"Ballet Imperial"

"Cinderella" ball scene with Seth Orza

"Emeralds" solo

*For whatever reason I don't remember the costume, but I'm going with the credits here.

I'm pretty sure that her partner in "Symphony in C" (2nd Movement) is Jeffrey Stanton, and the man who pulls her up by the waist in "One flat thing, reproduced" is Batkhurel Bold, who was her "Symphony in C" partner when she made her debut under Russell and Stowell.

I remember that debut -- she was so nervous I thought she might just vibrate off the edge of the stage. It's such an exposed part that I imagine even experienced dancers are apprehensive about it, but she did a very nice job with a tough assignment.

Stanton also partners her in the "Walking Pas de Deux" from "Emeralds" while she speaks briefly about what it was like to be coached by Violette Verdy and Mimi Paul. I don't recognize her partner from the clip, but when I saw her in it in 2006, Casey Herd was in the same cast.

I think it's Stanton in all these clips.

It's very nice to see the Forsythe here, both In the Middle and One Flat Thing. I hope they come back in repertory soon.