• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Sarah Kaufman won the Pulitzer today for her ballet criticism.

http://www.huffingto...0_n_534556.html

"Awarded to Sarah Kaufman of The Washington Post for her refreshingly imaginative approach to dance criticism, illuminating a range of issues and topics with provocative comments and original insights."

#2 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Sarah Kaufman, the Washington Post's dance critic, has won the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for criticism:

For distinguished criticism, in print or online or both, Ten thousand dollars ($10,000). Awarded to Sarah Kaufman of The Washington Post for her refreshingly imaginative approach to dance criticism, illuminating a range of issues and topics with provocative comments and original insights.

One of her pieces, "Ballet Must Make Room Onstage for More Than One Genius," prompted a lengthy (and very interesting) discussion among BTers here: The Fell Influence of Balanchine

I don't always agree with Kaufman (I had more than a few reservations about "More Than One Genius,") but I think it's terrific that a dance critic, and a thoughtful one at that, won a Pulitzer. Congratulations to Ms. Kaufman!

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

This is excellent news -- thanks so much for posting the link!

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Congratulations to Kaufman -- and this is also very good for dance!

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

The lead on the Washington Post home page lists her first, if not by name:

News organization awarded for criticism, feature writing, commentary, international reporting; former Post editor wins for general nonfiction.

:clapping:

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

There have been two posts on the Antony Tudor Ballet Trust Facebook Page (so far) on Ms. Kaufman's Pulitzer Prize. The latest quoted her most gracious response: "Ms. Kaufman said Monday that 'the artists have given me great material to work with.'"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):