This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Pointe shoes...What is the typical allotment?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

I know that professional dances are given at least a new pair of pointe shoes for each performance, but I don't know the rehearsal situation or the annual allotment...

For instance, does anyone here know how many pointe shoes per year a corps dancer at NYCB would get?

Just curious...

Perhaps because of this mention in an article about the Scottish Ballet's new digs:

It includes storage space for costumes and sets, a room for the 40 pairs of pointe shoes each dancer requires and Europe's largest dance rehearsal space.

http://news.bbc.co.u...est/8260824.stm

#2 kdubzz

kdubzz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

I know that professional dances are given at least a new pair of pointe shoes for each performance, but I don't know the rehearsal situation or the annual allotment...

For instance, does anyone here know how many pointe shoes per year a corps dancer at NYCB would get?

Just curious...

Perhaps because of this mention in an article about the Scottish Ballet's new digs:

It includes storage space for costumes and sets, a room for the 40 pairs of pointe shoes each dancer requires and Europe's largest dance rehearsal space.

http://news.bbc.co.u...est/8260824.stm

This is by no means confirmed, but I have read that NYCB corps members get 12 pairs per week during the season.

#3 emhbunhead

emhbunhead

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Depends on the company. I was given 12 pairs per season. Which means lots of jetglue. :)

#4 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

During rehearsal weeks about 6 pairs a month - during performance weeks, a few more as needed. You would use your shoes intelligently-some ballets require a soft pointe shoe,as in Lilac Garden. In Concerto Barocco, you need a very strong shoe, barely broken in, because of those hops on pointe.

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Miami City Ballet's blog page has a short video about "Shoe Day" at that company.
http://www.miamicity...09/04/shoe-day/

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

125 pairs a season for MCB women at $70-72/pair.

#7 Clara 76

Clara 76

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Just stumbled across this thread! Since I am a shoe mistress, I'd be happy to answer any questions people may have regarding pointe shoes.

I can give you general figures though:
Female dancers go through approximately 1 pair per week by alternating pairs and Jet Gluing, and one pair per performance unless it is a ballet such as Sleeping Beauty where the principals will indeed go through 1 pair per act!

The reason for the increase in usage on stage has more to do with the hot lights and the adrenaline than anything else. If a shoe manager is doing their job correctly, then a dancer should not have to do a whole lot to a pair prior to wearing. Most dancers wear custom made shoes, so the shoe manager can make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep his or her dancer's feet healthy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):