Author Frank McCourt, dead at 78Angela's Ashes author had metastatic melanoma, died from meningiti

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Frank McCourt, my most recent favorite author, died today. I was hooked on him as soon as I began reading Angela's Ashes. I devoured the book, watched the movie, went on to 'Tis: A Memoir and Teacher Man. When he came to a bookstore near us, I took all three books (and my daughter who loved him, too) and went to hear him speak. He autographed all three and we had a short and sweet, and thoroughly "McCourt" chat.
I am so sorry he is gone. I wasn't the only one who wanted to read more from him. Humble was his nature in public, which elevated his stature with me.

Two substantive obituaries:

Frank McCourt obituary

Frank McCourt obituary

#2 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Very sad to hear of Frank's passing. I knew him a little bit. He was very active in the local arts and spoke frequently at various functions I've been involved with throughout the years. He was a funny, funny, self-deprecating man, and a very generous one, taking a special interest in young local writers. We in this part of CT will miss him dearly.

#3 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

How sad. I will greatly miss him and his wonderful Irish wit. He was the quintessential New Yorker---he lived. at one time or another, in all of the five boroughs.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thank you for posting this sad news and the obits, Marga. He seems to have been a fine teacher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):