How Dance Translates to Everyday LifeA dancer's life

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 jonellew

jonellew

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:59 AM

to cut THROUGH a crowd (I noticed myself doing this back in 1970 when I was rushing through London crowds to get to Covent garden, I'd twist my shoulders in fourth arabesque and slice my way through thickets of people .

This reminded me of a funny story: After stopping dancing professionally, I worked at a small and busy coffee shop as a college student. There were tight quarters behind the counter, and I realized that often I would reach or dart past someone a coworker without a second thought and the coworker would step back with a "Whoa!" I guess I was invading the personal space. But when another dancer began working there, we talked about it and realized that we were both doing it, probably because when you are dancing in a piece and you need to get from point A to point B by a certain musical cue, you just go, cutting through people however necessary. You don't worry about brushing someone's arm and saying "sorry," "excuse me."

Our coworkers did comment on how gracefully we reached for the mocha syrup and poured the coffee, though. It became a little choreography: turn, reach, cup, sleeve, pour, lid, turn. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):