This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tamara Rojo and Carlos Acosta, Swan Lake

And again good news from Spain!!!

Next May 12th and 13th we will have Swan Lake performed by the Ballet of Lithuania and Tamara Rojo and Carlos Acosta in the leading roles. The performances are for free, but invitations are required and you can get them at the boxes in El Retiro.

I will try to attend it and write a report.

No, I don't recall any spectacle like this before. They are going to build a structure on top of the lake, trying to evoke the aquatic performances they did when Felipe II reigned (sixteenth century).

Interesting! I will keep an eye out for articles about this.

Older Ballet Talkers from the New York City area may recall when they did operettas and musical comedies at an outdoor theater along the bay beach at Jones Beach State Park. The performance was on an island. The permanent bleacher seating was on the shore. Floats, barges, and even water-skiers plied the water during the performanes.

The first production I saw there was "Night in Venice" and featured gondolas AND water-skiing. I have no memories of "Song of Norway" or how they got water-skiing into that. :thanks:

It never occurred to me that this kind of performance went back to the Siglo de Oro and had ancestors as grand as Felipe II. I trust that this particular Swan Lake will NOT have water-skiiers. Not even on pointe. :pinch:

Hi, Grissi.

To insert a link, you just paste the address from your browser into the text field. If you keep http:// in front, it enables readers to click directly.

I was able to "buscar" Tamara Rojo and found this article, en español, but no photo.

I got the same results, carbro. San Isidro is the patron saint of Madrid. There will be hip hop and puppets, lots of popular presentation and a big fireworks display. But the big news for us is that ballet will be taking over the best spot on the map.

Last year, a fountain display and fireworks set to Handel were celebrated in the Retiro Park. This year, the fireworks are moving to the western side of the city, at the Casa de Campo park, while a zarzuela will be in the Plaza Mayor.

The program is actually called "A Night on Swan Lake." There will be 4,000 seats and 14,000 standing room. They're giving two two performances: what appears to be a pre-opening performance on the 12th followed by the official preimiere on the 13th. Both are free.

The production is directed by Loipa Araju, a student of Alicia Alonso's who danced with the Ballet Nacional de Cuba.

According to Europa Press, this will be the last two acts only. Would this mean Acts III and IV? That seems rather odd, so perhaps they're thinking of the last 2 acts of a THREE act production. I'll check further.

If you would like to see the pool and the large white temple-like monument that is its backddop, click HERE. Quite a spectacular stage set!

Isn't it refreshing to have ballet (and free ballet at that) an integral part of something as big and popular as this? :)

Firstly, sorry for the delay; secondly, thank you, carbro, I will post links properly next time.

I couldn't attend the rehersal nor the performance, but it was on television in a regional channel, Telemadrid. As it was expected, Tamara Rojo and Carlos Acosta danced brilliantly, but: Ballet of Lithuania is a very poor company (although some media said that it was one of the best companies in Europe); tickets cannot be for free, IMO it diminishes ballet value; lighting was terrible; Loipa Araujo's resume of the ballet hadn't sense at all.

I personally don't like ballet outdoors, but people was mad, several hours before the boxes opened there were thousands on the queue. People who had not invitation could watch the performance on four huge screens near the lake. I think everyone was delighted, except the ballet critic Roger Salas who wrote in El País: Psychodelic nightmare on the duck's pool (www.elpais.com/articulo/madrid/Pesadilla/psicodelica/charco/patos/elpepuespmad/20070513elpmad_13/Tes). He said the performance was excessive, megalomaniac, with cheap lighting, a horrid aesthetic concept, an amateur corps de ballet and abusive amplification. The only justification for him were the two soloists. I fully agree.

He said the performance was excessive, megalomaniac, with cheap lighting, a horrid aesthetic concept, an amateur corps de ballet and abusive amplification. The only justification for him were thw two soloists.
Rather like an outdoor rock concert!

Too bad about the quality of the production. But as an American I'm always astonished when thousands of people will line up hours ahead of time, endure unplesasnt conditions, and even stand or sit on the ground, just for a chance to see ballet, opera, or classical concert. And that this will actually be shown on television!

Let's hope that the stars bring along a better company next time! Maybe next spring it will be Corella's own Spanish company with an even bigger audience. How about Ananiashvili as a guest, as at the recent NYC Gala? One performance with her, another with someone from the Ballet de Espana. :)

Thanks, Grissi, for the report.

I think everyone was delighted, except the ballet critic Roger Salas who wrote in El País: Psychodelic nightmare on the duck's pool. He said the performance was excessive, megalomaniac, with cheap lighting, a horrid aesthetic concept, an amateur corps de ballet and abusive amplification. The only justification for him were thw two soloists. I fully agree.

I only saw it in TV but I fully agree too Grissi, but still I even would emphasize on Tamara's performance.

Some nice pictures here by the middle of the topic

:)