This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Which Raymondas have you seen?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 11:15 PM

Thank you Doug for explaining what you mean by libretto. It is pretty much the same as program notes. Well, of course the information I am seeking would not be found in these notes. But, you did mention notation, regarding the variations in the Bolshoi version being close to the notation you have. In the notation is it explained what was intended in terms of character of movement?

#17 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 11:30 AM

The notations do not generally indicate anything about character of movement. This is particularly true with the Raymonda notations, which were mostly made by Nikolai Sergeev. A couple other ballet sin the repertoire were notated in more detailed fashion and offer more instruction on movement and partnering, but these notes really can't be said to relate to "character" of movement.

#18 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 03:13 PM

The first Raymonda I saw was a Kirov video. I've seen Nureyev's version for Zurich (which I think is the same as the production he did for ABT) and his version for the Opera which differed quite a bit from the Zurich/ABT production. I've seen Grigorovitch's version several times and the recent Ray Barra version for Munich. I also saw Plisetskaya in the last act of the old Bolshoi production. Of them all, I found the Paris version the most enjoyable and it was, needless to say, wonderfully danced by both the casts I was able to see.

#19 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:49 AM

I've only seen the Nureyev version with the Paris Opera Ballet, and although I can't really speak about the production itself because I haven't been able to compare them to others, I just love the music in Raymonda. The music for Raymonda's "Tableau de Reve" variation and the grand adagio (extremely long one) that comes (was it before or after?)...it's one of those ballet musics that just makes you feel as if you're watching the ballet in heaven. I think the problem with Nureyev, or the way I see it, is that sometimes, his steps become so complicated at times that by the end, I'm not so sure what was the point of making it so complex!! Was it his priority to show a dancer's technical capability? Anyway, I find his works incredibly difficult. smile.gif

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 11:45 AM

The only performance of Raymonda that I have seen is the video of Grigorovich's version for the Bolshoi starring Semenyaka, Moukhamedov and Taranda. To me, Semenyaka steals the show and is just absolutely lovely, especially in the early scenes. I'd love to see the Kirov's version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):