This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

POB's La Sylphide

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:00 AM

José Martinez should be replaced by Stéphane Phavorin but perhaps not on all his dates.

Stéphane Phavorin is sujet of POB and replace some years ago Manuel Legris injuried on stage at the end of the second variation in act 2. But he never dance the full part. It's a good news for a bad news :devil: !

#17 Guest_Rosmarinus_*

Guest_Rosmarinus_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

According to the site of Jose Martinez, there might be a cast change. His dates of La Shlphide, he indicated on before were disappreared. Just we see the dates of Joyaux in Spain.

http://www.josecarlo....com/enter2.htm

"Joyaux" de George Balanchine en Espagne
"Tourne'e oficielle de l'Ope'ra de Paris"

Agne`s Letestu et Jose' Martinez

le 30 juin et le 1 juillet a Madrid
le 9 et le 10 juillet a Barcelone

:shrug:

#18 Naoko S

Naoko S

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone gone to the first night? Please, do tell us how it went - I'm coming to Paris on Thursday and can't wait to hear your views. Thanks!

#19 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:05 PM

I don't see the premiere but according to what I heard, Aurelie Dupont is a wonderful Sylphide, she is brilliant, light, and understood completely romantic style. Mathieu Ganio seemt to be very good technically and the opinions change concerning his acting, some find him wonderful, other too scolar.

I hope you will enjoy your performance with Mathieu and Isabelle. I know that I saw Isavelle when she just entered in corps in Taglioni/Lacotte version of Le papillon and I was completely charmed by her way to dance, her light, her style. I think she could be interesting in this part :wink: !

#20 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:22 AM

The casts have been updated on the web site:

http://www.operadepa...597_distri.html

and so Stéphane Phavorin officially replaces José Martinez. Pity for Martinez, and I guess his fans must be quite disappointed, but at least it gives an opportunity to Stéphane Phavorin, a talented sujet who often has been forgotten by the direction (and also suffered from some injuries who slowered his career) to dance a big role.

#21 Naoko S

Naoko S

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Françoise for the feedback. This is going to be the first time for me to see Isabelle in a lead role - I'm so excited!

#22 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:56 PM

Naoko, I'm looking forward to reading your comment about what you saw! :)

Tonight I just saw a performance of it with Benjamin Pech and Delphine Moussin in the main roles (actually it was quite hard to get a ticket, and I ended up with yet another one of those awfully uncomfortable "reduced visibility" seats, but well, it was worth getting sore feet ;) ). I really appreciated a lot that performance, and found Delphine Moussin very well suited to the role, light, musical and expressive, even though she sometimes was technically a bit weak. As far as I know, this season is the first time she gets to dance it (twice, the first one was a few days ago), and I'm glad to have been there! Benjamin Pech was technically brilliant (that role is full of complicated variations, I remember an interview of Michaël Denard in which he said it was the most technically demanding role he had danced), and also quite expressive and moving, also Dorothée Gilbert was a charming Effie. And the corps de ballet was in top shape too. The only negative point was the orchestra which was quite average, and perhaps also the chemistry between the two main dancers could have been better.

#23 Naoko S

Naoko S

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:29 PM

Hi - I'm back from a short trip to Paris.... here're quick thoughts on the performance of July the 1st. The cast were:

La Sylphide: Isabelle Ciaravola
James: Mathieu Ganio
Effie: Caroline Bance
La Sorciere: Jean-Marie Didiere
PDD des Ecossais: Myriam Kamionka & Mallory Gaudion
Trois Sylphides: Dorothee Gilbert, Myriam Kamionka, Severine Westermann

'A beautiful dreamer' - that's what Mathiu Ganio was, in the ballet. Perhaps the way he looked - too princely to be a simple Scottish peasant - but throughout Act I he had this atmosphere around him that it wasn't actually this world, where he's about to marry the girl called Effie, he belonged to. It appeared as if the young man's mind was constantly seeking an exit to the unknown world - so his encounter with the sylph seemed no coincidence; it happened quite naturally to this James, who looked like living in a reverie. A perfect introduction to the world of a romantic ballet, I thought.

It's not that rapport between James and Effie was weak; on the contrary they made a very pleasant, fresh and effective pair. Caroline Bance, whom I saw for the first time in a big role like this, was very convincing Effie; a petite blonde dancer who brightened up the stage with a sunny smile and a down-to-earth manner, she also possessed a secure technique (a very light footwork) and was good in acting department too. Mathieu Ganio, on the other hand, was not only a reliable partner but had a quality most desired for a danseur noble; he was a true chevalier! As to Mathieu's dancing - what a difference a few weeks could make (and during this while he was made to the top, 'etoile', of the company), I thought. He seemed far more comfortable in this role than Basilio in Don Q some weeks ago; gone are the nervous facial expressions I saw in his Basilio, this time he showed off confidence and youthful energy - what's best, Mathieu genuinely seemed to have enjoyed dancing the principal role and looked at ease being a central persona on the stage. Among awesomely gifted male etoiles of POB, Mathieu is not particularly strong on technique - that's how I've seen him. In fact with this James I wasn't completely carried away by his dancing itself - just yet. But what a great prospect he has before him - if he could achive this at tender age of 20, in a decade or so what will we be able to see? I can only have a very rosy picture in mind.....

Then came the heroine of the evening - Isabelle Ciaravola as la Sylphide. A dancer with an elegant line (long - but not too long), I was particularly fascinated by her port de bras. In this choreography, it appeared to me that movements down from one's wrists matter more - the way she folded her wrists; used her fingers - how eloquent it was! She also seemed to possess a strong advantage for the apparently demanding pointe works, having very beautiful and flexible feet. Her portrayal of the role was very likable - a femine, womanly slyph who was a charming and innocent seductress absolutely free from malicious intentions. She didn't put too much weight on coquetry nor she was a mysterious type. (Watching her sylph reminded me of the retired etoile, Carole Arbo. I imagined Arbo would have possibly made a similar portrayal - very feminine - not a chance?) Her partnership with Mathieu worked well, I thought - in fact they made a very handsome couple, and in Act II, together with Corps ladies who traded humble cotton dresses for long white tutus, every scene was a delight to watch; they would have made nothing but beautiful pictures......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):