7 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 06:53 PM

in advance of the upcoming re-staging of SYMPHONIC VARIATIONS, identified by NY Public Library for the Performing Arts as follows:
Symphonic variations
Chor: Frederick Ashton; mus: CÚsar Franck (Symphonic variations for piano & orchestra); scen & cos: Sophie Fedorovitch. First perf: London, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Apr 24, 1946, Sadler's Wells Ballet.//First U.S. perf: New York, Metropolitan Opera House, Oct 12, 1949, Sadler's Wells Ballet.
this glimpse of its past comes in the form of an unidentified,undated photograph. though the dancer is unmistakably Anthony Dowell.
[my guess might be that dancer in the background could be Michael Coleman (or maybe Gary Sherwood?), but that's only a guess.]

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 06:55 PM

here's the photo that didn't seem to 'take' previously.

Attached Files

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 07:06 PM

What a lovely photo, and a reminder of a ballet I wish I could see more often. Thanks!

#4 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 07:08 PM

Do the y make them like that any more?

Actually, Dowell wasn't first cast by any means -- hardly even born yet -- but can anyone have been more beautiful in the role?

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 07:55 PM

Do they make them like that any more?

Actually, Dowell wasn't first  cast by any means -- hardly even born yet -- but can anyone have been more beautiful in the role?

No.

No.

Bowing :blushing:

Thank you, Robert. That is THE most beautiful photo of Dowell I've ever seen. I also like the energy of it -- quiet, but he's not a marble statue. It's gorgeous!

A

#6 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:51 AM

Stunning. And thank you rg.

#7 Funny Face

Funny Face

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:46 AM

I like that -- quiet, but he's not a marble statue -- yes, there's anticipation of something wonderful to come, as opposed to just a pose. Now, if we could just teach that quality!

#8 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:54 PM

Well now I know why my arthritis has been bothering me lately---I saw that first U.S. performance--FYI the rest of the program was--'The Rake's Progress', 'Facade' and 'Hamlet'.

One afterthought to the above---all four ballets were shown for the first time on October 12, and Fonteyn had leading parts in all but 'Facade'.--Amazing :sweating:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):