This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

All Female ballets?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coffee

coffee

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:07 PM

I was wondering if I could get any suggestions on ballets that were made up of only female dancers. This would be very helpful!

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:17 AM

There are very few ballets that meet this description.

In contemporary usage, I can only name "Antique Epigraphs" by Jerome Robbins. In older ballets, there are portions which have only women dancing, as in the Dances of the Wilis in Giselle. In operas, there are sections which have only women dancing as part of the plot, as in Russlan and Liudmilla, or the original of Faust, but an all-female cast is a rare thing.

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 04:53 AM

"Pas de Quatre" is a small, all female ballet.

#4 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 05:03 AM

Balanchine's Scherzo a la Russe is all-female. A slight piece, though.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:30 AM

Robbins' "Antique Epigraphs." For eight women, as I remember it. (Haven't seen it in about 15 years, so someone may have a more accurate count.)

One could consider the grand pas classique of the Wilis in Giselle to be an all-female ballet.

#6 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:44 PM

This is of strictly academic interest, but I can't resist mentioning the Meyerbeer opera, Robert le Diable, where there's a ballet for the ghosts of nuns who were unfaithful to their vows. This work (1831) was one of the great successes in operatic history, and helped make the reputation of the Paris Opera. I've never seen it, so can't report on the costumes or choreography.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:51 PM

Yes, the ballet of nuns is danced totally by women, unfortunately there are these two male singers who won't go away!

#8 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 03:56 PM

Robbins did a pas de deux, "Rondo", for Stephanie Saland and Kyra Nichols. Didn't last more than a performance or two, if I recall correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):