• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:37 AM

I was certainly sorry we lost Meja -- he was, as I said, a thrilling dancer.

WIth respect t Stowell, I'd like to add that Cheryl Flatow wrote so well about him , with such a clear understanding of his talent and artistry, that she made it easier to understand his development. Her essays over the years in the SFB programs were extraordinarily fine -- she gave you the real deal, to an astonishing degree when you consider that the program book is a publication of the marketing department. I miss her essays as much as I miss some of our finest dancers who have gone on.

#32 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:29 AM

Wow this has gone off the Boston Ballet track for sure.

Paul, Loscavio prefers to credit her training at CC Ballet to Don Eryck. Actually, to be fair we all studied with Don, David Ramos, Jocelyn Vollmar and Daniel Simmons -and many others.

B

#33 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:43 AM

Good point, Brioche. Perhaps we could get back to Boston Ballet changes. Anyone who wants to discuss San Francisco Ballet, past or present, or the general theoretical question of how an AD can change a company is welcome to do so, but please start another thread.

Thanks all!!

#34 salzberg

salzberg

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:07 PM

Check the new roster at Houston Ballet.  A handful of BB dancers are there and already rehearsing. :wink: A change in AD at any company can be very  unsettling.

I (vaguely) recall that when Ben Stevenson took over in Houston about 28 years ago, he replaced a goodly number of dancers.

#35 mbjerk

mbjerk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:31 PM

Yes, Ben did replace several, but kept a majority of the existing company. The existing Houston company was very loyal to James Clouser and the dancers Ben brought were loyal to him. Several had been in National Ballet of Washington with Ben.

I was part of the caravan that came down from Chicago as many from Houston went north to Chicago with James Clouser. We joked that we should have just switched apartments, furniture and cars - made the move hassle free!

#36 Guest_twindance_*

Guest_twindance_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:18 AM

I just wanted to add that at my daughters end of the year performance, they had the great fortune of working with James Whiteside as a guest artist. He has just been promoted from BBII to Corps. I cannot tell you how stunning a dancer he is, at the ripe old age of 18!!

#37 Justdoit

Justdoit

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 04:06 PM

I have been waiting to hear. Does anyone know about where Tara Hench is going or has gone?

#38 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

I believe Tara hench is in Tulsa now, as a soloist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):