This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

An obscure trivia question

This is a long shot, but I've been wondering about this for ages, and never knew who to ask till I found this site. In a PBS series called (I think) "Innovations," there was an episode broadcast maybe 4 years ago that was dedicated to the subject of injuries peculiar to the performing arts. One segment featured former NYCB soloist Diana White, in which she discussed the foot surgery she had to correct a painful condition near her heel. The program showed her dancing in a classroom to piano music for about 60 seconds. I was wondering if anyone knew what the excerpt she danced was from. It was exquisite, and I suspect it was Balanchine, and the music was wonderful. I'd be much indebted to anyone who could answer this question.

too bad there can't be video-grabbing and streaming here, so one could see the clip in question and answer your question.

d.w. had a few solo roles but w/ no more to go on than that this was a solo rehearsal in a studio w/ piano, it's rather difficult to guess which dance she was working on.

i'm personally unfamiliar w/ the PBS series you mention, but other BA post-ers might well be familiar with it and be able to identify the dance for you.

rg - You're right. If I could stream this tape, I'm sure countless experts on this board would instantly recognize it. Without the clip, it's not very likely that I'll get my answer. But it would be great if someone out there has seen this excerpt and remembers it. I've been dying to know.

When asked your question, Phaedra392, Ms. White's immediate response was "Prayer from Coppelia"...then she stopped and said that it might have been from the "pas de deux from Swan Lake"...but she was really pretty sure it must have been "Prayer from Coppelia" - so now it's up to you Phaedra392! ;) :)

Thank you so much, BW! I'm so impressed that you went right to the source. I adored Ms. White, and I feel sure that the segment must be from "Coppelia" and not "Swan Lake." I'm so relieved to finally know. Now if I could just get my hands on the Patricia McBride broadcast tape of that ballet, I could die happy!