This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Harrison James joins San Francisco Ballet (and remains with National Ballet of Canada)

As seen on both IG and FB, Harrison James will dance as a Principal Dancer with San Francisco Ballet AND National Ballet of Canada.

Harrison's IG:  https://www.instagram.com/p/C8FPPB3gN-R/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

National Ballet of Canada FB:  Facebook

Some of you may remember Harrison attended the San Francisco Ballet School and was a trainee in 2010 (IIRC).

Congratulations and welcome back Harrison!!

I'm not sure how I feel about dancers who dance for two high-profile companies. I like the exclusivity thing, but I know the dual-company thing is done a lot with ABT and many European companies. Am assuming this is a Rojo decision, and that we might (regrettably) see more of it. It seems to tie in with the guest artist thing, which, again, I'm not particularly crazy about. (Particularly when they cancel at the 11th hour.) I really just like to see "our" dancers because I learn more about them in each performance I watch, and it enhances/deepens my appreciation of what each dancer brings.

Perhaps this is a way of testing the waters. If Harrison James decides that he likes SFB, he stays permanently. If he doesn't, he returns full-time to the National Ballet of Canada. Flying back and forth over 2000+ miles and across three time zones can't be easy, and heaven knows that real estate in both cities isn't cheap.

I'm sure the National Ballet would rather keep him. The male roster there is the thinnest in recent memory.

(For the record, I take a dim view of guest artists and interlopers.)