This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Another master gone. Someone whose work strikes a strong note that helps guide you.

Serra was part of a group that came on the scene in the mid sixties that included Chuck Close, Nancy Graves, Brice Marden, Joan Jonas, and Philip Glass.

His prop / leaning pieces were inspired by Judson Church dance works of Yvonne Ranier, Trisha Brown and Simone Forti – especially Brown's "Leaning Duet," with its "applied equilibrium."

They'd do a lot of holds where one performer would fall and another would catch her, or one would be off balance and another would stabilize her ... They were trying to produce dance in a way that heretofore hadn't been conceived of as dance, using found movement and material. The dancers at that time – Yvonne, Trisha, Simone, and others – were also performing in non-art spaces: on rooftops, streets, anywhere and everywhere. In terms of what I was looking at – painters, sculptors, musicians, or whoever – they were the avant-garde, truly ahead of everything else that was being done.

Edited by Quiggin

Oh, this is sad news.

Two of my happy places are standing inside Serra's works at the Nasher in Dallas and the Olympic Sculpture Park, here in Seattle next to Puget Sound.

May he rest in peace.

3 hours ago, Helene said:

Oh, this is sad news.

Two of my happy places are standing inside Serra's works at the Nasher in Dallas and the Olympic Sculpture Park, here in Seattle next to Puget Sound.

May he rest in peace.

Yes, the experience of standing inside his words was/is amazing. The Dia space in Beacon NY really fit his hugeness. So glad to have his works.