This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Critics on Like Water for Chocolate

1 hour ago, matilda said:

Gia Kourlas reviewed: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/23/arts/dance/like-water-for-chocolate-ballet-review.html

The review is actually a bit kinder than I expected. But main takeaway: too much plot and mime, not enough ballet. 

"At some point, you might find yourself ranking characters, and asking yourself whom you’d rather never see again the most. But they can’t even be killed off; two return as ghosts." 

Kourlas is really growing into her role at the NYTimes (in the past year I've found myself enjoying her reviews more and more). This is a darn good roast 🤣 

20 hours ago, Papagena said:

Kourlas is really growing into her role at the NYTimes (in the past year I've found myself enjoying her reviews more and more). This is a darn good roast 🤣 

I've been thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure what to expect when she was appointed dance critic, as I mostly associated her with chummy Q&As and the like. But I've enjoyed her reviews and found her assessments to be pretty spot-on.