This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Interview with Sarah Kaufman, former critic with Washington Post

What a great interview, sandik. Thank you so much for posting this. There's a lot to chew on here:

At The Washington Post, the thing that was great as far as being a critic was that every critic was kind of a one-stop shop for that art form. Our theater critic writes theater news and essays, as well as reviews and criticism. Our music critic does the same thing. It’s a little bit of a different breakdown than what you have at The New York Times which is a much larger operation with a lot more staff who can specialize just in breaking news or Sunday features and where the critics only write criticism. I always felt that the latitude I was given at The Washington Post was just tremendously enriching and satisfying to me as a writer. The more I reported on the dance world and understood the people in it—the trends, the challenges from economics to politics, to gender dynamics and the kind of medieval practices which the ballet world has carried over for decades and decades—the whole enchilada really informed my criticism.

It's just so sad that this kind of writing seems to be disappearing and place for people to do this kind of writing seems to be vanishing. Of course this has been going on for some time, but if even the Post with its gazillionaire owner won't pay a staff dance critic - what can you say. It's too bad, because the Post once employed not only Kaufman but Alan Kriegsman (one of his reviews is linked to here) and of course our own Alexandra Tomalonis.

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, dirac said:

What a great interview, sandik. Thank you so much for posting this. There's a lot to chew on here:

It's just so sad that this kind of writing seems to be disappearing and place for people to do this kind of writing seems to be vanishing. Of course this has been going on for some time, but if even the Post with its gazillionaire owner won't pay a staff dance critic - what can you say. It's too bad, because the Post once employed not only Kaufman but Alan Kriegsman (one of his reviews is linked to here) and of course our own Alexandra Tomalonis.

Thoughts?

Many thoughts, but right now I'll just point out that the only dance writers to win Pulitzers were Kriegsman and Kaufman, writing in the Post.

Edited by sandik