This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RIP Lupe Serrano

Lupe taught us company class, almost daily when I was with the Pennsylvania Ballet(now the Philadelphia Ballet).  She demonstrated everything- with such clarity and control, especially when showing the adagio combinations.  We all loved her. She had a great sense of humor- for her birthday one year a male stripper  was hired to surprise her in the studio. It was hilarious!

Very sad on reading this news--but she had a great, accomplished, long life making strong contributions to American ballet. I saw her as a child (my memory says Etudes) and also have vivid memories of a family member discussing a performance I did not see (unfortunately) of Swan Lake--apparently it was a rip-roaringly exciting night--one of those you-had-to-there evenings--and Royes Fernandez, too, danced at the very top of his game. (Actually my family member thought he was over the top of his game of his game that night, dancing the best she had ever seen him by some measure. But mostly she was raving about Serrano.)

May she rest in peace.