This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

United Ukrainian Ballet Fundraiser in London September 13-17

I saw the final three performances, with Alina Cojocaru on Friday evening, Elizabeta Gogidze at the Saturday matinee, and Christine Shevchenko Saturday evening. Ratmansky was seated in the audience at all performances and he came on stage with a Ukrainian flag Saturday evening when they all sang the Ukrainian national anthem. Each performance opened with God Save the King and closed with the Ukrainian anthem and several flags held up by dancers.

I don't have the greatest memory for details, but this version was very similar to Ratmansky's reconstruction for the Bolshoi in 2019, which I saw on a live stream in a movie theater in January 2020, before everything shut down. The Ukrainian version includes the Willis Fugue (which I love!), the ending when the earth swallows Giselle and Bathilde reappears, lots of mime, and very different choreography for things like Albrecht's solo. 

Considering the circumstances and the fact that dancers came from different companies, the corps was really marvelous in their lines and symmetry, in both the first and second acts.

I remember Cojocaru fondly from guest appearances with ABT long ago. Sadly, although her interpretation is a lovely as ever, her technique was overshadowed by the other two I saw, especially in things like height and speed. Shevchenko was powerful in all aspects. Gogidze was a wonderful surprise and I hope a North American company finds a way to bring her over. Her little entrechats in act II were gorgeous.  

Audiences seemed almost sold out at the performances I attended. 

Now I wonder: what happens next? This week depended on the generosity of so many for costumes, sets, orchestra. I can't imagine they have funds to visit North America, although I am confident they would draw huge crowds. I hope the dancers aren't turned lose to fend for themselves again.

One dancer who has already made her way from the United Ukrainian Ballet to America is Yuliia Moskalenko, who is now a principal at Miami City Ballet. She appeared in some of the Giselle rehearsal footage, then disappeared, and it's now clear why. However her departure doesn't seem to have been acrimonious, since Ratmansky wrote a letter of recommendation. 

https://pointemagazine.com/yulia-moskalenko/