This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bella Jones

Buddy

While looking through some videos of young Mariinsky and Bolshoi dancers, I wound up at the Mariinsky’s Anastasia Plotnikova’s 2019 YGAP performance. Then I recalled another YGAP name, Bella Jones.

I watched the two following videos (posted by YGAP). In addition to Anastasia Plotnikova saying elsewhere how different classical and contemporary are, and if alongside two of the most promising young dancers in Russia, I was highly impressed by the very young Bella Jones, then I have to say that “ I’m Highly Impressed ! “

I wish her much success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PC5CCNf-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wHAxwk-gE

Added: She just turned 14.

Edited by Buddy
added comment

I posted that video of Bella Jones last year,  bemoaning the fact that even with her extraordinary talent and facility,  American ballet companies prefer their Black dancers to be barely distinguishable from the white dancers.

I've also been looking at the YAGP videos for this year and while I hesitate to say it,  because I know there are ballet moms who post here,  some of the American dancers this year are shockingly bad.  Not untalented.  Bad.  Too many are stumbling their way through difficult solos with such faulty technique,  they scarcely look trained at all.  Some are clearly not strong enough even to be on pointe,  as evidenced by their slack knees,  unstretched feet and turned in legs.  I assume that the pandemic has made serious training difficult.  But they should not be attempting work that is so far beyond their current ability.

2 hours ago, On Pointe said:

I posted that video of Bella Jones last year,  bemoaning the fact that even with her extraordinary talent and facility,  American ballet companies prefer their Black dancers to be barely distinguishable from the white dancers.

I've also been looking at the YAGP videos for this year and while I hesitate to say it,  because I know there are ballet moms who post here,  some of the American dancers this year are shockingly bad.  Not untalented.  Bad.  Too many are stumbling their way through difficult solos with such faulty technique,  they scarcely look trained at all.  Some are clearly not strong enough even to be on pointe,  as evidenced by their slack knees,  unstretched feet and turned in legs.  I assume that the pandemic has made serious training difficult.  But they should not be attempting work that is so far beyond their current ability.

"Competition dancers" do not have any true ballet training, they have an hour "ballet" class taught by their contemporary/jazz teachers.. who are often former competition students with zero ballet training.  They're bad because a lot of YAGP participants are not ballet students.  It's become very popular for "dance studios" to send their students to YAGP.  They make a killing convincing parents that their kids need weekly private lessons all year round to learn a variation.

Edited by Balletwannabe
6 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Thanks, On Pointe.

I recalled a discussion, but couldn’t find it.

I would hope that perceptions are changing because of talent such as this. I think that they might be.

Edited by Buddy
12 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

"Competition dancers" do not have any true ballet training, they have an hour "ballet" class taught by their contemporary/jazz teachers.. who are often former competition students with zero ballet training.  They're bad because a lot of YAGP participants are not ballet students.  It's become very popular for "dance studios" to send their students to YAGP.  They make a killing convincing parents that their kids need weekly private lessons all year round to learn a variation.

If they want to maintain their credibility,  YAGP is going to have to start some form of pre-qualification before they allow dancers to compete.  There are many beautifully trained,  talented American youngsters who enter,  but I notice that the competitions that originate outside of the country don't have incompetent entrants.