This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello

Dance

Hello,

Here is my dance background- I started ballet when I was six, and did 7 1/2 hours per week of mostly ballet with some modern in my teens and very early twenties. I am in my late twenties and have not danced in a while, and am trying to get back into it. My teacher taught technically and gives individual attention. However, when I visited other schools I learned that she never taught us some of the most advanced steps/terminology. She has a lot of latin steps in her artistic choreography, which is awesome, but it was hard to switch to the purely classical stuff at other studios. 

This summer I taught some ballet lessons over zoom to an eleven year old family friend while she is in the process of switching studios for various reasons. Don't worry, though, I stayed in my "scope of practice." I don't claim to be able to teach her the most advanced steps, and she was not ready for them anyway, although I have visited other studios and done a lot of internet research. The kinds of things I taught her were some easy/intermediate jumps, linking steps, and pull your tummy up and in, and pretend your rib cage and pelvis are lego blocks that are stacked on top of each other.  I wasn't going to actually tell you about this teaching, but I enjoyed it so, and it made me want to dance again.

I like to be a life long learner, so I will probably come with some questions. Thank you for this providing this.

Hello Dance, and welcome to Ballet Alert!

Ballet Alert! is an audience site.  If you want to discuss dancing and dance teaching, you'll want to register at our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers:

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/

We are separate sites, and you'll need to register there as well.  The process is similar, but they have their own rules and policies, which you'll find here:

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/forum/160-ballet-talk-for-dancers-policies-and-rules/