This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Random Question Re: Progressive Lenses and Binoculars

I have a question for my fellow balletomanes,. I have gotten glasses with progressive lenses for the first time. I was in denial about the need for this for a long time, but after tiring of putting reading glasses on and off constantly, and now noticing that my distance vision has deteriorated as well, it had to happen. But it's not so bad - they're actually pretty cute! Anyway, my question has to do with how progressive lenses work with opera glasses... which I use a lot for performances. Does the "middle distance" part of the lens interfere with a clear sight through the binos? Do you just take your glasses off and then look through the binos? Or should I get a pair of single-lens, distance-vision glasses for use at performances? Thanks for any thoughts!

5 hours ago, cobweb said:

I have a question for my fellow balletomanes,. I have gotten glasses with progressive lenses for the first time. I was in denial about the need for this for a long time, but after tiring of putting reading glasses on and off constantly, and now noticing that my distance vision has deteriorated as well, it had to happen. But it's not so bad - they're actually pretty cute! Anyway, my question has to do with how progressive lenses work with opera glasses... which I use a lot for performances. Does the "middle distance" part of the lens interfere with a clear sight through the binos? Do you just take your glasses off and then look through the binos? Or should I get a pair of single-lens, distance-vision glasses for use at performances? Thanks for any thoughts!

I take my glasses off to look through opera glasses - it's not really possible to combine glasses and a binocular/opera glasses. If you're sitting up close in the orchestra section, your distance glasses should be fine. But obviously from dress circle/balcony distance the opera glasses/binoculars are going to get you a closeup view that your regular eye glasses can't match. The problem with a lot of opera glasses and binoculars is that they don't have a wide field of view - they're great for looking at a PDD, but not for taking in the entire stage.

12 hours ago, pherank said:

The problem with a lot of opera glasses and binoculars is that they don't have a wide field of view - they're great for looking at a PDD, but not for taking in the entire stage.

I have a big pair of classic 7x35 binoculars which do allow a fairly wide view – 4 or 5 dancers worth from the rear of orchestra with a fairly natural amount of 3D. But switching between my single lens distance glasses and binoculars is always a bit of a comedy routine with me. And then deciding between the intimacy of a close up vs the overall view – have I missed someone entering and exiting?

3 hours ago, Quiggin said:

I have a big pair of classic 7x35 binoculars which do allow a fairly wide view – 4 or 5 dancers worth from the rear of orchestra with a fairly natural amount of 3D. But switching between my single lens distance glasses and binoculars is always a bit of a comedy routine with me. And then deciding between the intimacy of a close up vs the overall view – have I missed someone entering and exiting?

Exactly, so I always end up using the little binoculars sparingly.