This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet West Promotes its first non-Asian dancers of color to the company's top level

Tapfan

4 hours ago, Helene said:

The press release, posted here, says that she is retiring.   Companies have been generally careful not to publish more than they know and/or can disclose at the time, preferring language like "leaving" the company.  

I wasn't clear: Yes, "retiring" vs. a word like "leaving" is what I was confused about. Anyway, I suppose only time will tell where she ends up. 

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Nor was I.  Unless they know that a dancer has told them he or she intends to retire, and that it's okay to go public with the news, they generally don't use the word retiring.  

Ah, I believe you're correct. It got me thinking/digging and according to her Instagram she is retiring:

"I needed to be around friends and family: people who don't just identify with what they perceive as 'me' through an image, title, or job."

It sounds like, to her, being a ballet dancer wasn't all she thought it would be—which is a good thing to figure out while you're still young.