This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Morris' memoir

A review of "Out Loud, a Memoir" by George Jackson for danceviewtimes.

Some of the writing in the book's early chapters is cutesy, but both Morris and the prose grow up. He takes himself on a tour of Europe and opts to make it as a dancer in New York, where he joins the "post-modern" dance scene, performing for others and doing his own dancing whenever possible. He is discovered, he thinks, by critic Arlene Croce who writes about him in The New Yorker magazine. Much of the rest of the book consists of creation and evolution stories about Morris dances and his dance group. These tales contain insights and wisecracks. There is much turbulence when he moves to Brussels to replace sensualist choreographer Maurice Bejart. He stays there from 1988 to 1991, then re-settles in New York.

Has anyone read it?

12 hours ago, dirac said:

A review of "Out Loud, a Memoir" by George Jackson for danceviewtimes.

Has anyone read it?

I haven't but it's on my to-do list. The Brussels period is the part I'm interested in reading about. It was a creative period for Morris (perhaps his most creative) but it a disaster of sorts in terms of his relations with the Belgian audience. And I'm not sure that he has ever recovered in Europe in terms of his works finding their way into company repertories.