This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nadia Mara ... on to Uruguay

Seeing announcements of promotions and retirements at Ballet West made me realize I should post about the retirement from Atlanta Ballet of wonderful ballerina Nadia Mara who has been dancing here for 15 years.  She is returning to Uruguay to become a principal dancer with the National Ballet of Uruguay -- currently directed by Julio Bocca.

Mara was one of the company's best and most versatile dancers--and one who always "delivered." I even recall one or two performances where (almost) everyone else seemed to be having an "off" performance -- or to be out of their depths (cough...Paquita...cough) -- where Mara's reliability and charm helped to save the day. I always especially appreciated that while she was technically one of the strongest ballerinas I've seen here in Atlanta (especially pre-Nedvigin), all of her performances were gently infused with warmth and emotion.

I treasure many of her performances but will mention two (where, in fact, the whole company was "on" but her performance was the stand out): the lead ballerina in Allegro Brillante -- not as fast as Tiler Peck (!) but more warmly romantic in a way that recalled to me things Tallchief has talked about as important to the ballet;  and Marguerite in Helen Pickett's Camino Real, a role that calls on the ballerina not just to dance but to speak and even cry out in anguish which Mara did convincingly.

Here is the company's notice about her departure--as they write, it's sad that Atlanta Ballet and its fans won't be able to see her off in person:

https://www.atlantaballet.com/news/a-fond-farewell-to-nadia-mara

Edited by Drew
diction
24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Seeing announcements of promotions and retirements at Ballet West made me realize I should post about the retirement from Atlanta Ballet of wonderful ballerina Nadia Mara who has been dancing here for 15 years.  She is returning to Uruguay to become a principal dancer with the National Ballet of Uruguay -- currently directed by Julio Bocca.

Mara was one of the company's best and most versatile dancers--and one who always "delivered." I even recall one or two performances where (almost) everyone else seemed to be having an "off" performance -- or to be out of their depths (cough...Paquita...cough) -- where Mara's reliability and charm helped to save the day. I always especially appreciated that while she was technically one of the strongest ballerinas I've seen here in Atlanta (especially pre-Nedvigin), all of her performances were gently infused with warmth and emotion.

I treasure a lot of her performances but will mention two (where the whole company was "on" but her performance was the stand out): the lead ballerina in Allegro Brillante -- not as fast as Tiler Peck (!) but more warmly romantic in a way that recalled to me things Tallchief has talked about as important to the ballet;  and Marguerite in Helen Pickett's Camino Real, a role that calls on the ballerina not just to dance but to speak and even cry out in anguish which Mara did convincingly.

Here is the company's notice about her departure--as they note, it's sad that Atlanta Ballet and its fans won't be able to see her off in person:

https://www.atlantaballet.com/news/a-fond-farewell-to-nadia-mara

Thanks, Drew. There have been a number of these departures going on - without ceremony. It's just really sad. I imagine it's not easy for the A.D.s right now - to find replacements of equal talent given the pandemic restrictions and general lack of funds.