This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

California Ballet Company 2018-19

Their website has a new look and seems somewhat easier to navigate (but not much). Looks like Tess Lane moved off from San Diego to a company in San Francisco (Smuin Ballet? Never heard of that one, but SF is a great town). Emily Reason is also absent, as are a few others, but there's new talent coming in.

Schedulewise, they just have the Nut, Cinderella, and something I haven't seen called Noche Latina yet, but I hope they bring Gatsby back. That's been well-recieved here, and I missed it last season. 

This November at the Balboa Theatre in downtown San Diego, California Ballet presents Noche Latina, an evening of fire, passion, and romance with a latin flare! 

The evening will feature Bizet's Carmen and the world premiere of Jared Nelson's interpretation of the fiery Bolero. Also on the program is the West Coast premiere of Septime Webre's Juanita y Alicia, a dance narrative based on the choreographer's real-life family in Cuba.

Juanita y Alicia will be accompanied by a live Cuban band.

http://californiaballet.org/

7 hours ago, ClaraFan said:

(Smuin Ballet? Never heard of that one, but SF is a great town).

I just wanted to acknowledge the late Michael Smuin, who was co-director of the San Francisco Ballet until 1985 and later formed his own company. He died in 2007 and it's good to see that the company is still performing. His departure from SFB was not exactly cordial, as I remember.

http://www.smuinballet.org/

On their Instagram account, they talk of a "new Nutcracker in 2019". Anybody live around here and follow them? Curious about the specifics. Planning on going this year (hopefully. Medical issues have kept me from going to any of their productions since last year's Nut).

On 11/28/2018 at 8:16 PM, ClaraFan said:

On their Instagram account, they talk of a "new Nutcracker in 2019". Anybody live around here and follow them? Curious about the specifics. Planning on going this year (hopefully. Medical issues have kept me from going to any of their productions since last year's Nut).

I'm in the area, but I've only gone to see the "City Ballet" in San Diego. The California Ballet Company's programing never grabbed me. City Ballet performs a certain amount of Balanchine (which is hard to come by in Southern Cal), and I appreciate that. It would be good to know how the two companies fare with their Nutcracker productions.

Edited by pherank

Yeah, I'm pretty geeked about the next Nut. I actually skipped out on Cinderella. Never been to it, and wasn't sure if it was a bit overly family friendly (that is, likely dull for a single 43-year old, no kids). I've never found the Nut to be that way, but Christmas has its own traditions. I guess I just didn't care for the pics in the ads. But having read a review, it seemed well done (again, Cal Bal, but i need to try City).

3 hours ago, ClaraFan said:

I know I titled this thread for the 18-19 season, but it occurs to me that no one else has limited company threads to a single year, so I'll just carry on here. Here's the link to info for the Nut and Beer and Ballet as well as the Rock + Blues Project.

https://www.californiaballet.org/season-2019-2020

No problem - many companies have seasons that run from the Fall through the Spring, and North American companies also have their Nutcracker "season" in between. It just depends on the operating budget and the availability of their performance space.