This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le tourbillon de la vie

Elle avait des bagues à chaque doigt,
Des tas de bracelets autour des poignets,
Et puis elle chantait avec une voix
Qui, sitôt, m'enjôla.

Elle avait des yeux, des yeux d'opale,
Qui me fascinaient, qui me fascinaient.
Y avait l'ovale de son visage
De femme fatale qui m'fut fatale
De femme fatale qui m'fut fatale

On s'est connu, on s'est reconnu,
On s'est perdu de vue, on s'est r'perdu d'vue
On s'est retrouvé, on s'est réchauffé,
Puis on s'est séparé.

Chacun pour soi est reparti.
Dans l'tourbillon de la vie
Je l'ai revue un soir, aïe, aïe, aïe,
Ça fait déjà un fameux bail
Ça fait déjà un fameux bail

Au son des banjos je l'ai reconnue.
Ce curieux sourire qui m'avait tant plu.
Sa voix si fatale, son beau visage pâle

M'émurent plus que jamais.

Je me suis soûlé en l'écoutant.
L'alcool fait oublier le temps.
Je me suis réveillé en sentant
Des baisers sur mon front brûlant
Des baisers sur mon front brûlant

On s'est connu, on s'est reconnu.
On s'est perdu de vue, on s'est r'perdu de vue
On s'est retrouvé, on s'est séparé.
Dans le tourbillon de la vie............

Thanks, dirac. I used to have that song on an Philips Lp. Jules and Jim was one of four early Traffaut movies that played for years in Los Angeles – often triple-billed with 400 Blows, Shoot the Piano Player or Soft Skin. All had very abrupt (but inevitable) endings. La Notte also made the rounds, shown with L'Avventura and L'Eclisse. (Those were the days of very intense film going.)

Interesting that towards the end of her life Moreau even managed to appear in a Manoel de Oliveira film. 

Marguerite Duras (Moreau was in Duras' Moderato Cantabile) says of her in an interview:

She is not very tall. She is very, very thin. Ninety-nine pounds.  No matter what the season she has golden skin – an extraordinarily fine complexion. Her mouth looks like a segment of an orange. Her eyes are bronzed. They are soft as silk. Her gaze is one of relentless intelligence. Intelligent before she was a star, intelligent she still is. Her conversation embraces all subjects, without a trace of hypocrisy.

Edited by Quiggin

Her gaze is one of relentless intelligence.

So true. A nice pic of Duras and Moreau together.

Interesting that towards the end of her life Moreau even managed to appear in a Manoel de Oliveira film. 

An interview from 2001.

Nostalgia, she went on, is for people who have lost their curiosity. ''The cliche is that life is a mountain,'' she said. ''You go up, reach the top and then go down. To me, life is going up until you are burned by flames. Life is an accomplishment and each moment has a meaning and you must use it. Life is given to you like a flat piece of land and everything has to be done. I hope that when I am finished, my piece of land will be a beautiful garden, so there is a lot of work.''