This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of China 2015 US Tour

So did everybody "conch out" after ABT? Ha, it seems as if nobody has been able to see the great National Ballet of China at Lincoln Center.

Did any of our NY regulars see THE PEONY PAVILION? That ballet's run ended last night. Performances of the Mao-era RED DETACHMENT OF WOMEN begin today.

Who are the current top ballerinas & danseurs of the company? Last time that I saw them (2011 at Kennedy Center) the lovely Cao Suchi (gold medalist at 2010 Jackson IBC) was just coming into her own as a soloist. Is she now a Principal? Anyone else stood out? Any and all reports would be appreciated. :)

I saw Wednesday's performance of Peony Pavilion and Saturday evening's performance of Red Detachment. I thought Peony Pavilion was OK - I wasn't a big fan of the Kunqu singing and the postmodern score but the ballet had its moments. Red Detachment, by contrast, was stunning - Zhang Jian in particular did a tremendous job as Wu Qinghua (those head-kicks!) but it was all-around a standout performance for the whole company. The audience frequently burst into applause enraptured by the bravura score and choregraphy (including clapping along to The Song of the Detachment as well as the synchronized grand-jetes during the interlude). There was a standing ovation with many loud cheers during curtain calls.

Thanks, danc1988! It sounds like RED still packs a punch, after all of these years.

Can you tell from the Playbill if Cao Shuci is even on this tour? I know that she has danced leads in SWAN LAKE and GISELLE back home since I saw her in DC in demisolo roles in 2011. I believe that she also dances lead in PEONY back home.

Thanks again!

May be Cao Shuci danced in Wolf Trap or will dance in Westchester and/or Saratoga? She's definitely in NYC with the company.

08urvm.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, girls in front from L to R: Cao Shuci (principal), Liu Qi (soloist), Yu Yang (corps), Wong Ye (principal); boys: Ma Xiaodong (principal), Zheng Zhenxin (choreographer)

So did everybody "conch out" after ABT? Ha, it seems as if nobody has been able to see the great National Ballet of China at Lincoln Center.

Did any of our NY regulars see THE PEONY PAVILION? That ballet's run ended last night. Performances of the Mao-era RED DETACHMENT OF WOMEN begin today.

Who are the current top ballerinas & danseurs of the company? Last time that I saw them (2011 at Kennedy Center) the lovely Cao Suchi (gold medalist at 2010 Jackson IBC) was just coming into her own as a soloist. Is she now a Principal? Anyone else stood out? Any and all reports would be appreciated. smile.png

Well both abatt and I were there, as were many of our friends. I definitely didn't like the ballet. I found the dancing lackluster. The choreography dull, and the staging peculiar (throughout the first half there is big rectangular box that is hung from cable and off which the female lead rarely ventures). I went opening night and Zhu Yan performed the lead role of Du Linisng. She was alternating the role with Wang Qimin. Judging from the bio in her book, Zhu is 1 or 2 years older than Vishneva, which would make her about 40. Unfortunately, she has not been blessed by the dancing gods like Vishneva. I thought her lines were bad, especially her arabesque and she had little gift for acting or drama. I wish NBC had put a much younger dancer in the role. I think it would have worked much better.

I was also confused as to why this ballet, based on an opera, would use Debussy (Afternoon of a Faun) and Ravel (can't remember,sorry) in their score. The corps did look nice. Dressed in billowy white pants, they looked soft, elegant and well rehearsed. But that wasn't enough to have me stay and I left at intermission (as, also, did abatt).

This run did not sell well. I got my seat, opening night, at the Lincoln Center Atrium at 50% off. The entire run was being sold there, including Red Detachment of Women, All the unsold seats at the higher price ranges ($99 and up) were being sold. I definitely plan on using (or at least checking) the Atrium again.