This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake

I'm very curious about the question of whether or not the Prince stays seated next to the Queen Mother to watch the national dances at his birthday party. I love to watch Marcelo and David as they interact with the princesses while their subjects are dancing. It really gives them a chance to flirt with the Prince and point with pride to their countrymen as they dance. But in the same production I've seen now both Bolle and last Thurs Carreno exit the stage during that scene leaving the poor princesses stranded in their chair alone and quite far from the Queen Mother. Makes no story-telling sense to me. Any explanations?

I'm very curious about the question of whether or not the Prince stays seated next to the Queen Mother to watch the national dances at his birthday party. I love to watch Marcelo and David as they interact with the princesses while their subjects are dancing. It really gives them a chance to flirt with the Prince and point with pride to their countrymen as they dance. But in the same production I've seen now both Bolle and last Thurs Carreno exit the stage during that scene leaving the poor princesses stranded in their chair alone and quite far from the Queen Mother. Makes no story-telling sense to me. Any explanations?

I have always thought it was a good idea for the Prince to exit....better to maintain their warm up.

one presumes the prince is 'meant' to remain seated next to his mother in the ballroom sc. of ABT's current staging. the presence of each of the prospective brides on a chair near the throne would indicated that the sc. is supposed to offer the prince the opportunity to acquaint himself, somewhat, with each princess as the Hungarian, Spanish, Italian, and Polish dances are preformed as successive divertissements.

Covering the prince's legs, w/his cape, etc. is one thing, in the case those dancers who feel the need to keep their legs warm, etc. (a similar detail occurs in COPPELIA when Franz is left in his drugged sleep while Coppelius conjures life into what he believes to be his Coppelia doll, tho' it too can seem odd, covering the dancer's legs puts the opportunity for Coppelius to actually 'remove' the life from Franz's legs in an awkward position, so to speak); Siegfried's leaving the sc. altogether as Carreno did, seems a bit exteme/odd. i think in so far as this production is concerned, he's the only dancer to leave his mother seated next to an empty throne.

i guess if JMC insisted on this way of behaving, ABT felt it had no choice but to let him have his way.