This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This is especially weird in that moral force of the subsequent versions of the original (and nicely small-scaled) "Mr Norris Changes Trains" & "Goodbye to Berlin" is based on being on the right side of history.

Thanks, Quiggin. "Mr. Norris" and the "Berlin Stories" are on the right side, I think. They are more subtle about it. (Isherwood's most vile characters are pointedly not German, and Isherwood doesn't exempt himself.) Isherwood's Sally is capable of "I've just been making love to a nasty old Jew producer" or words to that effect, and she doesn't mean it and yet she does. Not a line that would make it to Broadway, of course - you can't have Julie Harris, et al., saying unpleasant things that might make the audience dislike them.

(As for the diaries - I dipped into the first and out of respect I have no plans to read the latest. You can't always go by letters and diaries anyway - Saul Bellow seems so appealing in his letters, but guess what.....)