This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzanne Farrell at Purchase NY on November 7

Suzanne Farrell Ballet will perform Balanchine pas de deux at Purchase, NY near White Plains on Sunday, November 7 at 3 p.m. We New Yorkers would love to see this company. I can take Metro North to White Plains and a taxi to the Tilles Center, but after the performance I have no idea how I would find a taxi to get back to the train station in White Plains. Is anyone familiar with the Tilles Center - are there taxis after performances like at the Kennedy Center? Is there a shuttle bus to take people to the train station like the Kennedy Center has?

You might contact the box office at the Performing Arts Center (914-251-6200; www.purchase.edu) They should be able to help with logistics as audience members come from all over.

As it is a Sunday matinee, the train schedule to Rye or White Plains may also be worth double-checking.

Potential audience members from BalletAlert might consider car or cab-sharing, or group tickets if numbers suffice. Purchase is only about 45 minutes north of Manhattan and the Neuberger Museum (across from the PAC) is well worth a visit.

A highly-anticipated event on campus.....

A Manhattanite friend who is interested and who has some experience traveling up that way suggests the Fall train schedules may not be posted yet, but there are usually two trains an hour, a local and an express.

Carpooling sounds fun, Juliet!

(Sorry, just realized this doesn't exactly speak to Eileen's question. But I haven't heard from my friend as to that first leg of the return trip by public transportation.)

Edited by Jack Reed

Suzanne Farrell Ballet will perform Balanchine pas de deux at Purchase, NY near White Plains on Sunday, November 7 at 3 p.m. We New Yorkers would love to see this company. I can take Metro North to White Plains and a taxi to the Tilles Center, but after the performance I have no idea how I would find a taxi to get back to the train station in White Plains. Is anyone familiar with the Tilles Center - are there taxis after performances like at the Kennedy Center? Is there a shuttle bus to take people to the train station like the Kennedy Center has?

Eileen, thank you so much for the heads up. I just bought my tickets online. My Mom lives in White Plains so it's super convenient to pick her up and go to SUNY Purchase! :yahoo:

Sorry if I've generated any confusion, but I've started another thread where a few of us have been commenting on this program and the companion one, with mostly the same cast, in Buffalo:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/32811-the-balanchine-couple-suny-buffalo-purchase-campuses/

But I can add a comment about tickets: After buying a fair seat in advance on Ticketmaster as insurance I would have something when I arrived, I asked at the box office an hour before curtain and bought a superior one, smack in the center of the eighth row! They have a large lift/pit in this theatre, so it wasn't too close, and the effect of the program was better than in Buffalo, where, using similar tactics, I wound up in the center of row O, which was not bad at all. (This tactic may seem extravagant to some, but I manage to travel to satisfy my - well, addictive need - for well-danced Balanchine now and then, and the cost of an extra ticket disappears into the budget. Plus, in Buffalo I sold my "insurance" ticket in the lobby for half price. Just like the Good Old Days at Lincoln Center.)

The Purchase box office also had a fourteenth-row seat, but this was just a bit far, although otherwise a good view, as this theatre is well raked.

And I can add something about advance notice of the program: Several customers at the box office and elsewhere in the lobby at Purchase commented that they had seen nothing in the NY Times Friday or Saturday editions, not until Sunday morning, the day of the performance.