This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Arte will be streaming Stravinsky's Le Rossignol, Renard and Petites Pieces from Aix-en-Provence on Wednesday, July 7, at 19:55 local time (1:55 p.m. ET).

The Nightingale: Olga Peretyatko

The Cook: Elena Semenova

Death: Svetlana Shilova

The Fisherman: Edgaras Montvidas

The Emperor of China: Ilya Bannik

Chamberlain: Nabil Suliman

The Bonze: Yuri Vorobiev

Renard cast: Marat Gali, Edgaras Montvidas, Nabil Suliman, Ilya Bannik

Trois pièces pour clarinette seule: Jean-Michel Bertelli

Pribaoutki: Svetlana Shilova

Berceuses du chat: Svetlana Shilova

Deux poèmes de Constantin Balmont: Elena Semenova

The staging is by Robert Lepage, and the conductor is Kazushi Ono.

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Le_Rossignol_et_autres_fables_au_Festival_d_Aix-en-Provence

Having just seen -- and heard, and enjoyed -- the transmission, I thank you, volcanohunter! Though the scale of the resources lavished on this production itself could distract sometimes. Ah, what the advanced countries can do! *sigh* (Nice of them to share it with us, though.)

Oh, gosh, it was very beautiful indeed. I believe this production was first presented by the Canadian Opera Company last autumn, and the opera house in Toronto is a good deal larger than the one used in Aix. I actually wondered how well those marionettes worked in a theatre. The production almost seems made for television, the closeups allowing the viewer to delight in every detail.

I'm really dying to know: how does one flood an orchestra pit? And how can the singers be persuaded to sing in the water?