This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yesterday I attended the Cleveland Orchestra Season finale. The program included Glazunov's "Nocturne in F major" from "Chopiniana", Chopin's "Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor" and Prokofiev "R&J".

Of course, I was in heaven with the "Nocturne". I think Chopin's chromatic harmony fits beautifully with the lush Russian orchestral language of Glazunov, and find this to be one of the key factors in the success of the ballet. Loved it.

"Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 2" had Argentinean pianist Ingrid Fliter in the lead, who gave a rich, warm and beautifully harmonic interpretation, receiving a big ovation from the packed house.

Prokofiev's "R&J" was a crowd pleaser. I peaked the woman next to me shredding some tears while listening to the ballet score, and honestly...this was a SUBLIME rendition of it. For some reason, the last two pieces were inverted, and "Juliet's Funeral" music came before her "Death".

The Orchestra was masterly conducted by Mr. Vladimir Ashkenazy...quite a personality onstage.

Beating the nightmare of downtown traffic was worth it. Now, looking forward to next season. BRAVO!

What a perfect program for romantics and ballet lovers!

... a big ovation from the packed house.
This is great news for the future of Cleveland's witner residency in its new, part-time southern home! :D

Cristian, do you find yourself rerunning familiar choreography -- or even creating your own -- with this kind of music? I confess that I do.

What a perfect program for romantics and ballet lovers!
... a big ovation from the packed house.
This is great news for the future of Cleveland's winter residency in its new, part-time southern home! :D

Cristian, do you find yourself rerunning familiar choreography -- or even creating your own -- with this kind of music? I confess that I do.

Oh,yes bart..I do that sometimes too. At some point during "R&J" some fragments of Martins' choreography-(which I saw a couple of times in NYC)-and even more, that of Lavrovsky-(from my Havana days)-came to mind. Now, for some reason I kept thinking on Gelsey Kirkland, and how wonderful would it had been to see her dancing to the score, after repeatedly watching her Tube balcony scene with Dowell in anticipation to the MCB running .