This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter Season Opening Night Gala 2009

According to the NY Times website, Paris Opera Ballet etoiles will be appearing at City Ballet's opening night. The info from the NY Times is below:

"Over the years France has given New York everything from the Statue of Liberty to Daniel Boulud, and now, in its latest act of trans-Atlantic generosity, it plans to lend the city a pair of dancers from the Paris Opera Ballet. New York City Ballet said that Aurélie Dupont and Mathias Heymann, both Étoiles with Paris Opera Ballet, will perform at City Ballet’s opening night benefit. Ms. Dupont and Mr. Heymann (who are among the dancers featured in the Frederick Wiseman documentary “La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet”) are to perform the “Rubies” pas de deux from George Balanchine’s “Jewels.” The other half of the bargain (struck by Brigitte Lefèvre, the dance director of the Paris Opera Ballet, and Peter Martins, the ballet master in chief of City Ballet) is that Paris gets to borrow Ashley Bouder and Gonzalo Garcia, principal dancers from City Ballet, who will dance the leading roles in “Rubies” for Paris Opera Ballet on Thursday at the Palais Garnier. The City Ballet benefit will take place on Nov. 24 at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center."

The addition of Dupont and Heymann is interesting (thanks for the clip). But tickets must not be selling. 3rd and 4th ring seats are discounted by 25%. Use code: ONW10

The Gala program is not stellar; I think that's real the problem. Although I'm looking forward to seeing all of the new principals in Martins' ballet,

it's still a Martins' ballet. Plus, although I love the Ratmansky ballet, most of us have seen it many times (i.e. is it really Gala fare?).

The addition of the POB stars was smart, as was the the discounting for 3rd and 4th ring tickets.

Normally my husband and I spend a lot of money to get orchestra seats (and the pre-program party). This year, however, the program didn't seem like it was worth spending all of that cash. Instead, I bought myself a seat in the 2nd ring (which wasn't cheap either).