This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancers' Choice

I just came back from the NYCB Dancer's Choice performance. I thought Jennifer Ringer did a great job. I'll post comments and thoughts about performances later. At the moment I just want to say it was a festive, fun evening and a warm and positive atmosphere prevailed.

On an unrelated point. It was a great day for NYC performing arts. Earlier in the day I heard the amazing violist, Hilary Hahn, at a "free for all at town hall" concert. If anyone in or near NYC doesn't know about these concerts check it out on line. The final concert for the year is next Sunday.

One of the highlights of "Dancer's Choice" is always the casting. Corps members are front and center in major roles, and

the few principals who danced (the evening is designed that way) are featured in unexpected ways. For example, who knew that Jared Angle, the consummate partner -- billed in the program as Damian Jared Angle, probably to honor Damian Woetzel, who practically owned this role for decades --

could lead the "Royal Navy" section with verve, humor, and sparkle, while always keeping his impeccable technique? I immediately wanted to see Jared

as "The Hoofer" in "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" to show off more of this side of him (Philip Neal was his usual terrific "Hoofer" in yesterday afternoon's performance. And what new adjectives can be used to describe Maria Kowroski's well-reviewed "Striptease Girl?" The only word that qualifies is "perfect.").

It was also wonderful to see some of the talented NYCB corp --especially the often unheralded men -- in big parts.

In an except from "The Waltz Project", Russell Janzen (partnering Savannah Lowery), Andrew Scordato (partnering the always delightful

Georgina Pazcoguin), and Justin Peck (a future principal) with Abi Stafford were all terrific. But the night partly belonged to the

gorgeous (her extension alone is worth seeing) Faye Arthurs, who should immediately be cast as: The Siren (in "Prodigal Son") and "The Striptease Girl". In any other company Faye would surely be a principal; besides her obvious skills as a dancer, she also holds the stage (it's impossible not to look at her)

even when it's crowded with other brilliant dancers. Later in the evening, Faye was also a delightful Wren in "Union Jack."

Christian Tworzyanksi (a personal favorite) danced beautifully with Tiler Peck in "Valse-Fantaisie." The fact that Christian can be noticed at all while on stage with the spectacular Tiler (every other dancer shines a little less brightly in her presence. Tiler is just that great) is saying something!

Adrian Danchig-Waring (another -- hopefully! -- future principal, personal favorite, and a joy to watch) and Rebecca Krohn (who has had an

excellent season) were stunning in an excerpt from "In G Major."

And if you missed David Prottas, with Stephanie Zungre, in an excerpt from "Dances at a Gathering," please do keep an eye on David P.

from now on (if you haven't already). He is a truly an amazing dancer, and hopefully will have a huge career at NYCB. Kudos also go to

Daniel Applebaum (he's had a very nice season too), the always glowing and cheerful Gwyneth Muller (who danced with soloist Ask laCour.

I'd like to see a lot more of Ask too), and Troy Schumacher (so good!), all of whom did a very nice job in Richard Tanner's "Episodes & Sarcasms."

Ashley Bouder's ballet, "Give Me Fever," was accomplished, sexy, good humored, fun and danced all out by the marvelous quartet of

Amar Ramasar (movie star handsome), Sean Suozzi (an outstanding and grossly underused soloist), Brittany Pollack and Kaitlyn Gilliland (another principal in the making). Janie Taylor's costumes were adorable as well. Bravo Janie and Ashley!

The show stopper wasn't the "11pm number" (which was actually at 10pm last night. The performance started at 7:30pm), but instead a few ballets before the close (which was "Union Jack).

Kathryn (Katie) Morgan and Tyler Angle performed "The Sleeping Beauty Pas De Deux" (from Act III). From the curtain rising,

to the bows and bravos just a few short minutes later, we knew that we were seeing something truly exceptional. Katie, a favorite of NYCB balletomanes from her years at SAB on, has often been compared to just about every Balanchine ballerina (high compliments indeed) in her short career. Still a corps member (but not for long), she has it all: technique, beauty, musicality, phrasing, jumps, star-quality and more.

Last night she was simply breathtaking. And Tyler Angle -- too often stuck in roles (like his brother, he's an excellent partner) that don't allow him to show off his own formidable technique, excellent line, musicality, and stage presence -- was just as breathtaking as his beautiful partner.

Special mention here to the very clever, and informative film, "Pas de Deux -- The Dancers' Perspective, " produced by Jeni Ringer and Kristin Sloan, and directed by Galen Summer. Megan Fairchild and Andrew Veyette danced and discussed what a pas de deux

was like from both the "boy's" and "girl's" perspective. What a charming couple! (Andy was especially funny). The camera angles were quite creative as well (Megan and Andy seemed to have cameras attached to their bodies/heads so that you could really feel the whirling around effect of the spins etc.).

And finally a word for the woman who put this most enjoyable evening together -- Jeni Ringer.

Jeni was a most charming, beautiful, and articulate host, and will be a hard act to follow at next year's "Dancers" Choice."

This program will be very hard to match -- it really was that wonderful. Thank you, Jeni!

What an enjoyable evening. Here are a few of my take aways

Serenade gave Kowroski a rare opportunity to do the waltz girl. Megan LeCrone and Teresa Reichlen were both outstanding - those girls can dance!!

Waltz Project excerpts were well danced by all. It is always a treat to see Georgina Pazcoguin on the stage.

Valse Fantaisie was a delight. Peck, Tworzyanski and corps members Collins, Johnson, Keenan and Sell were all having a great time as was the audience. I think it would be nice to have this lovely treat back in the rep. It is a small and delightful treasure.

The Dances at a Gathering excerpt was very well done by Stephanie Zungre & David Prottas. For me it was a great introduction to Zungre, a dancer that I was unfamiliar with.

In Sleeping Beauty ppd the pas was really lovely. Tyler Angle partnered the glowing Kathryn Morgan beautifully and seamlessly. His variation had some rough spots (which he'll have to clean up to be cast in this type of rep) but the overall impression was very positive.

The Dancer's Perspective film was a delight. The visuals and he said/she said perspectives on partnering were funny and very human. I hope NYCB will show it at the theater and on its website. A few seconds is available on the website now.

The Bouder ballet was fun and danced well by all. I loved the red sneakers.

The Union Jack excerpt had me smiling the whole time, and reminded me of how masterful Balanchine was in so many ways.

Jennifer Ringer was a lovely, warm and funny host, and we all got party favors to take home!! I did not see last year's Dancer's Choice, but after attending this year's, I'll do my best not to miss another one.

NYCBallet

Dancers' Choice 7:30 pm June 14, 2009

I agree with the comments of the posters before me, DeborahB and vipa: this was an evening of great dancing and of excellent works presented with care and great love.

My favorite works, both for choreographic content and performance execution, were the "In G Major" excerpt with Rebecca Krohn and Adrian Danchig-Waring; and the delightful "Valse-Fantaisie" with Tiler Peck and Christian Tworzynski and the quartet of Collins, Johnson, Keenan and Sell.

Performers who stood out for me were the charismatic Russell Janzen, partnering Savannah Lowery in "The Waltz Project", Zungre and Prottas in the "Dances at a Gathering" excerpt, and Kathryn Morgan and Tyler Angle in "The Sleeping Beauty" pdd -and the three soloists of "Serenade".

This is not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the fresh and original

choreography of Ashley Bouder with its bold musical selections and

the full-out and joyful dancing of Gilliland and Ramasar,

and Pollack and Suozzi.

I found it, as well as the costumes of Janie Taylor, witty and delightful.

And, of course, the closing "Union Jack" made everyone leave the theatre with a smile.

A great evening.

NYCBallet

Dancers' Choice 7:30 pm June 14, 2009

I agree with the comments of the posters before me, DeborahB and vipa: this was an evening of great dancing and of excellent works presented with care and great love.

My favorite works, both for choreographic content and performance execution, were the "In G Major" excerpt with Rebecca Krohn and Adrian Danchig-Waring; and the delightful "Valse-Fantaisie" with Tiler Peck and Christian Tworzynski and the quartet of Collins, Johnson, Keenan and Sell.

Performers who stood out for me were the charismatic Russell Janzen, partnering Savannah Lowery in "The Waltz Project", Zungre and Prottas in the "Dances at a Gathering" excerpt, and Kathryn Morgan and Tyler Angle in "The Sleeping Beauty" pdd -and the three soloists of "Serenade".

This is not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the fresh and original

choreography of Ashley Bouder with its bold musical selections and

the full-out and joyful dancing of Gilliland and Ramasar,

and Pollack and Suozzi.

I found it, as well as the costumes of Janie Taylor, witty and delightful.

And, of course, the closing "Union Jack" made everyone leave the theatre with a smile.

A great evening.

I am still dizzy with joy from "Dancer's Choice."

Why do we not see promotions for Katie Morgan, Gina P., Stephanie Z, too many others to mention and the end of Nilas?

WHY?

My wife and I and our friends were in a total joy mood and Jenifer R is a classy producer-and a great dancer.

How could anyone not love "Union Jack" as a closer?

I confess: I love Katie Morgan and she and Tyler are a wonderful pairing.

I have seen one MND and will see a second on Saturday, then I will cry until November with a brief bit of October joy from ABT.

JIM