This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maria Kowroski

Mellio

Maria has long been a favorite dancer of mine. The essence of strength and glamour. I see that her name is absent from City Ballet casting for the first weeks of the Spring Season. Is she injured ? Does any one know?

Hi Mellio! Welcome to Ballet Talk!

You've asked a question that I'm sure others have wanted to ask -- we are all curious about dancers and why they disappear from the roster for a few weeks. It's our policy here, though, not to discuss injuries, or any backstage/insider information unless it's official -- a press release from the company, or something in print. Unfortunately, ballet companies almost never send out press releases on injuries or other reasons that might keep a dancer away from the stage.

Here's a link to our Rules and Policies -- I hope all our members will take this as a gentle preseason reminder, and a pointer to new members, to either check out, or refresh your memory, of our policies.

Rules and Policies

Welcome to the board Mellio! :D

Maria is a favorite of mine as well. I love the glamour and theatricality she brings to the stage as well as those legs as long as the Mississippi river!

What roles do you like to see her dance?

... those legs as long as the Mississippi river!

Indeed. She has been a great help in getting a young male friend of mine to come with me to City Ballet performances. He calls her "Legs," as in, "Legs is dancing tonight? I'll come!" I admit, it's stuck in my mind and I've started calling her that--sort of like Big Red.

What roles do you like to see her dance?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I can't resist. I'm sure I won't be the only one to say that Bugaku is fabulous for her. And my friend and I both loved her in Violin Concerto. I'd like to hear what other ballets people particularly enjoy her in, since I base most of my attendance decisions on casting.

...and welcome, Mellio!!