This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I was on Netflix recently and happened upon a dvd called Russian Ballet Highlights. The best excerpt in my opinion is The Golden Age Act 3 pdd with Bessmertnova and Taranda and is alone worth giving this disc a look see. What I want to know is when will a complete recording of The Golden Age be released? Taranda is such a stylish dancer. :blush:

the whole of this production was telecast, on A&E if mem. serves, around the time of this film's release, w/ bessmertnova, mukhamedov and taranda.

and yes, taranda, was sum'pin...

i haven't heard of this being re-released on dvd. maybe someone else has heard differently.

here are the credits for the version that was telecast in the late '80s:

The golden age c1987. 114 min. : sd. color

Performance by the Bolshoi Ballet at the Bolshoi Theater, Moscow. A National Video Corporation co-production with Gosteleradio-Soviet TV, in association with BBC Television. Producer: Robin Scott. Director: Colin Nears. Licensed worldwide by NVC Arts International. Distributed as a videotape by Home Vision, a Films Incorporated company, Chicago, Ill.

Choreography: Yuri Grigorovich. Music: Dmitri Shostakovich. Libretto: Iosif Glikman and Yuri Grigorovich. Scenery/costumes: Simon Virsaladze. Lighting: Boris Lelyukhin.

Performed by Natalia Bessmertnova (Rita), Irek Mukhamedov (Boris), Gediminas Taranda (Yashka), Tatiana Golikova (Lyushka), Mikhail Tsivin (Master of ceremonies), and others. Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theater conducted by Alexander Lavrenyuk.